MULTAN: Seven workers were admitted to Haroonabaad Tehsil Headquarters Hospital after fainting from coming in contact with pesticides they were spreading on rice plants. Two of the men were later pronounced out of danger but will be kept in the hospital for 72 hours. Five men, whose stomachs have been washed, are still unconscious and on ventilators. The eight daily wagers were hired by local land lord Muhammad Shaukat to apply the powder pesticides to his rice crop in the sub district of Bahawalnagar. After the work, seven men fainted. The remaining one was out of view. Dr Muhammad Farooq who attended the men, said that the pesticides they were working with were highly poisonous, and the contact with bare feet and hands had been dangerous. If their condition did not improve in 12 hours, they would be taken to Bahawalpur Victoria hospital.
Published in The Express Tribune, July 15th, 2013.