Not only is lauki a highly refreshing vegetable to beat the heat with, it is also a great remedy for stomach problems. Indulge in this delicious raita, perfect with spicy pulaos…addiction guaranteed!
Medium-sized lauki (bottle gourd) 1
Yogurt 2 cups
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Mint leaves and
Coriander leaves (optional)
White cumin seeds (zeera) ½ tsp
• Take off the outer layer of the lauki and shred it into thin slices.
• Place the lauki in a pan and add enough water to cover the vegetable completely.
• Boil the lauki until it is thoroughly cooked and drain any extra water that may remain.
• Let the lauki cool down.
• In another bowl, beat the yogurt thoroughly. Add some milk to ensure that the consistency of the yogurt isn’t too thick.
• Mix the lauki with the yogurt.
• Add salt and pepper as desired.
• Add the cumin seeds and the mint and coriander leaves if desired.
• Rub some cumin seeds between the palms of your hands and sprinkle on top of the raita to add a pleasant aroma.
Published in The Express Tribune, Ms T, July 14th, 2013.