Planning underway: FATA Secretariat orders funding for new, ongoing development projects

Of the total annual development programme fund, at least 70% is to be given to existing portfolios.


Our Correspondent June 04, 2013
Of the total funding, 30% is to be allocated to new development schemes while the remaining 70% will be given to schemes in the current portfolio. DESIGN: CREATIVE COMMON

PESHAWAR:


The Planning and Development Department of the FATA Secretariat has embarked upon a comprehensive financial development plan for the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (Fata), amounting to Rs18.5 billion.


This figure includes a foreign aid component of Rs1.9 billion, while the FATA Development Authority’s (FDA) share stands at Rs1.5 billion.

Fata Planning and Development Administrative Secretary Shahzad Khan Bangash directed political agents of the tribal agencies and deputy commissioners of the Frontier Regions (FR) to prepare new portfolios for the annual development programme (ADP). Of the total funding, 30% is to be allocated to new development schemes while the remaining 70% will be given to schemes in the current portfolio.

“Rs10.5 billion or 70% will be awarded to ongoing schemes while Rs4.5 billion or 30% will be allocated to new development projects,” explained Fata Director of Information Fazalullah.



The FATA Secretariat presented its progress review to Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Governor Shakutallah Khan on May 24, added Fazalullah. “The governor expressed his satisfaction over the development activities being carried out in the tribal areas.”

According to the director, the secretariat also directed the various political administrations to consult all stakeholders, including Fata parliamentarians for the proper identification, timely execution and legitimate ownership of said developmental schemes.

“Moreover, the secretariat has secured the governor’s approval and issued specific guidelines regarding the formulation of the ADP for the 2013-14 fiscal year as well. These guidelines place greater emphasis on completing ongoing schemes,” noted Fazalullah.

He claimed larger schemes with immediate, visible socio-economic benefits would be given priority while small schemes with minimum impact would be discouraged. “The education and health sectors shall have priority in the budget as far as socio-economic development is concerned.”

The first draft of the ADP is to be finalised by the second week of June. Subsequently, a detailed presentation will be made to Governor Shaukatullah for final approval.

Meanwhile, the Planning and Development Department is currently consolidating new ADP proposals received from officials in the tribal agencies and FRs while Fata directorates have been asked to prepare sector-based (ongoing) portfolios within the 70% fund allocation.

Published in The Express Tribune, June 5th, 2013.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read