Electioneering: Nawaz promises a sovereign Pakistan, if voted to power

Published: April 28, 2013
PML-N chief says he will end the ‘economic paralysis’ of the nation.

PML-N chief says he will end the ‘economic paralysis’ of the nation.

FAISALABAD:

PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif promised on Saturday a sovereign, economically sound Pakistan in which each citizen can live a life of dignity, if his party is voted to power in the May 11 elections.

“After coming to power, Shahbaz Sharif and I will not sit in the Prime Minister House in Islamabad. Instead, we will stand with the people of Pakistan, shoulder to shoulder,” he said, while addressing a public rally at the Municipal Stadium in Jaranwala, some 30 kilometres away from Faisalabad.

“Only I understand the agony of people. What the oppressed and depressed classes are going through is an unprecedented economic crisis … and only I can resolve your issues,” said Nawaz. “I am not power-hungry. I only want to see Pakistan as a real nuclear power where people live with honour and dignity.”

The PML-N chief also recalled the days when his party was in power. “When I was the premier in 1997, there were no power outages, unemployment, terrorism, lawlessness or economic crises,” he said. “The country was moving on the road to progress. However, the military adventurism of [Pervez] Musharraf derailed the process …What a pity! I made the country a member of the nuclear club, but the unconstitutional removal of my government pushed the nation back into the Dark Ages.”

He added that during PML-N’s five-year tenure in Punjab, the socio-economic conditions of the people improved significantly. “All decisions were made transparently, strictly on merit,” he added.

Once again, Nawaz reiterated his plans to provide loans and  offer assistance to entrepreneurial youth, in a bid to curb unemployment and poverty.

He expressed satisfaction over the turnout at the gathering. “Judging from your enthusiasm I am confident that my party will emerge victorious in the May 11 elections,” he said.

In this vein, he appealed to the people of Jaranwala to support PML-N candidates if they want to see an end to the current economic paralysis.

Published in The Express Tribune, April 28th, 2013.

• Indian
    Apr 28, 2013 - 10:45AM

does this mean pakistan is not sovereign now ?
    hahahahaah islamic re pub of bakistan.

• Tee
    Apr 28, 2013 - 10:52AM

hahahahaha I really don’t know how he says all this with a straight face……. this is what happens when a party is owned by a family… notice how many “I”s are there in his speech.Recommend

• Apr 28, 2013 - 10:59AM

It mean power is essential for people’s services?
    oh,it is not a acceptable stance.
    It would be not better if we provide opportunity to tested figures
    new comer has become indispensable new and fresh lwadership
    with new strategy .I consider,PTI is better.

• Salman Javed
    Apr 28, 2013 - 5:58PM

I really enjoy his speeches those are very funny, I don’t now why people listen to him seriously in rallys. I think they dont unterstand.
    they must laugh when he was pointing out his achievments

• zahid
    Apr 28, 2013 - 6:38PM

If NOORA league wins again, it will be a loss for Pakistan because after they complete their 5 years term, Pakistan will be compared to African countries excluding South Africa.. We dont have electricity, clean water, gas and these idiots wants to make Lahore into a Paris… LOL…
    If Pakistanis dont see know that these idiots are in Politics to loots it not build it than we deserve them…..

• Max
    Apr 30, 2013 - 8:03AM

That means he is bringing ‘qarz utaro mulk sanwaro’ part 2. Naraz Sharif one can only laugh at your inane speeches.

• omair
    Apr 30, 2013 - 4:03PM

While standing 50 meters away from the crowd, behind bullte proof glass he says, “After coming to power, Shahbaz Sharif and I will not sit in the Prime Minister House in Islamabad. Instead, we will stand with the people of Pakistan, shoulder to shoulder,”

More in Punjab