Balochistan violence: Targeted operation to continue, cabinet told

Govt will go to any extent to protect Hazara community: PM.


February 21, 2013
Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira briefs media persons about the cabinet meeting. PHOTO: APP

ISLAMABAD:


Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira vowed on Wednesday that the targeted operation will continue in Balochistan until all the elements involved in terrorist activities were arrested.


However, security measures like targeted operations are time consuming because security agencies have to trace safe havens of terrorists for necessary action, Kaira told a news briefing after a cabinet meeting on Wednesday.

Dozens of people, mostly from the Hazara community, were killed in a massive bomb blast in the Hazara Town neighbourhood of Quetta on Saturday.

Kaira said the government has accepted almost all the demands of the Hazara community, including launching of a targeted operation in Balochistan. During the operation, four terrorists have been killed and 170 arrested, he added.

He stated that the Hazara community had serious reservations regarding the unabated targeted killings of its members. The government has also accepted their demand of community policing. The community had also demanded compensation and job for one member from each victim family.

The airlifting of around 35 seriously injured of the bomb blast to Karachi was also underway, he stated.

Kaira said a three-member committee will be formed to monitor the implementation of the measures agreed upon by the government and the elders of the Shia Hazara community. He added that the latter would shortly nominate their three representatives in this regard.

Kaira said the prime minister had also categorically stated that the government would go to any extent to protect lives and properties of the Hazara community.

Cabinet meeting

Earlier in the day, during the meeting, Prime Minister Raja Pervaiz Ashraf stressed the need for adopting a national approach to fight terrorism and find its solution after vowing to bring to justice the culprits of the Quetta carnage that killed over 80 people on Kirani Road.

“The support and strength of the country’s political leadership is required for addressing grave areas,” Ashraf said in his opening remarks.

He said Pakistan continues to confront courageously the menace of terrorism and would continue to fight till it was wiped out. The premier and his cabinet members also offered fateha for those killed in separate terrorist incidents in Quetta, Hangu and Lakki Marwat.

He expressed grief over the Quetta blast which resulted in the loss of over 80 lives on February 16. “The cabinet expresses deep sympathies with the bereaved families and reiterates its resolve to continue its fight against terrorism and remain undeterred till its logical end,” said the premier.

The cabinet also resolved to bring to book the culprits behind such brutal acts. “Governments come and go but the country will remain stable. We all are the servants of Pakistan, its people and will serve to the best of our ability,” he assured.

Ashraf reiterated that it was the government’s resolve to protect the lives and property of all citizens. “The government has taken all possible measures for improving law and order and economy despite many constraints.”

Published in The Express Tribune, February 21st, 2013.

COMMENTS (1)

Sultan Ahmed. | 8 years ago | Reply Being said, in case such incidents continue unabated and sectarian violence spreads to other provinces the elections expected in April or may may be delayed . Such possibility can not be ignored such situation can be expected.Government may be expelled to postpone the upcoming elections but question before us is that who is behind the scene want no election in time in the country. Some well informed quarters open this secret carefully.saying who is behind the scene triggering perticular element and parties for creating the situation that is the question of the day before us . Gowader sea port has been handed over to china it has been done under a formal agreement it is not beyond the government jurisdiction . In the light of existing situation,would have to see who has reservations on it,we indentify such powers and quarter concerned.who is anger on the good bilateral relations with china. In fact, chines leadership don'tlike American long presence in the region. Negotiations are going on with Iran on the gas pipline that is essential for Pakistan because people of Pakistan are passing through a horrible power crisis but the same is untollerable for the single super power of the world. It is opened to all such bargaining with Iran US understand it against its national and international interests. as every one know that Pakistan repeatedly requested to the United States for civil nuclear technology for removing power crisis from the country but refused repeatedly refused . It mean, we should do all which goes in our national interests.
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read