QUETTA: The families of the victims of Quetta bombing have agreed to bury their dead, hours after they had rejected the shia leaders’ agreement with the government to end sit-ins across the country.
Early on Wednesday, families of the victims gathered along with shia leader Allama Amin Shahidi and told the media that the families had accepted the agreement and that they will be burying their dead at 9 am on Wednesday.
Shahidi assured that the decision was being announced after the families had agreed to it.
Asked about protests continuing in other parts of the country, Shahidi said that they had been directed to wait for this press conference so that they can hear the decision from the families of the victims.
Over 80 residents of the Shia Hazara neighbourhood in Quetta were killed when over 800 kilogrammes of explosives packed in a vehicle detonated in the middle of a busy bazaar on February 6.
The attack led to countrywide agitation, with families refusing to bury their loved ones till their demands of the army taking over the city and targeted operation against the perpetrators were met.
On Tuesday, the groups leading the protests - Majlis-e-Wehdat-e-Muslameen (MWM), Unity Council of Quetta, Shia Ulema Council and All Pakistan Shia Action Committee - called for an end to the nationwide protests and sit-ins after talks with government representatives.
The families of the victims have, however, refused to budge. The heirs want the culprits to be immediately arrested and hanged in public.