Real estate case: Court wants a look at Zamzama-I original layout

Petition questions the conversion of amenity land into a multi-storey commercial complex.

Our Correspondent August 16, 2012

KARACHI: The Sindh High Court has summoned the original record of the plot commonly known as Zam-I.

The petition was filed by Waleed Khanzada, who has questioned how amenity land was converted into a multi-storey commercial complex with a Cineplex and bowling alley. According to the petitioner, the Defence Housing Authority (DHA) had leased 8,000 square yards to a developer in 1987. Only 70% was reserved for construction while the remaining 30% (2,400 square yards) was to be used for amenities, such as internal roads, parking lots, sidewalks and parks.

The agreement was, however, violated by the developer and the entire 8,000 square yards were covered. Instead of taking action, DHA allotted another 3,600 square yards to the constructor. The matter was taken up in another petition in 2010 and a SHC bench ordered that it would be treated as a separate petition.

The plot is located in one of the priciest neighbourhoods of the city, the Zamzama Boulevard in Phase V.

On Wednesday, Chief Justice Mushir Alam and Justice Syed Muhammad Farooq Shah took up the case.  The bench directed DHA’s lawyer to ensure that an officer appears in court with the original record of the entire plot of Zamzama-I with the original layout plan and any order saying that the plot’s status has been changed. The case has lingered on for one reason or another, but all the lawyers have agreed to a conclusive hearing. The case was adjourned until September 5.

Published in The Express Tribune, August 16th, 2012.

Facebook Conversations