ISLAMABAD: Unable to produce missing persons today, the Frontier Corps (FC) sought police powers during the hearing of the Balochistan law and order case and claimed that it had no missing persons in its custody.
The paramilitary force, in a written statement submitted at the court on Tuesday, said it had conducted "internal inquiries" and found the group of missing people "was not held in the custody of FC".
It said in many cases insurgents dressed in FC uniforms committed "high profile acts of terrorism and heinous crimes... thus bringing (a) bad name to this federal organisation".
Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, heading a three-judge bench, remarked that he knows that the FC does not want to do anything. Issuing an order to summon the secretary defence and the principal secretary, the chief justice asked them to hand it in written form that they have been unable to produce the missing persons.
The chief justice said he was not satisfied with the FC's reply and directed the paramilitary and civilian officials to appear again before the court on Wednesday.
"There is apparent failure of the executive machinery to control law and order," the CJ said.
He further said that the FC personnel who have been nominated in the case should surrender, and added that the court will announce its verdict soon.
The court had earlier given the FC until July 24 (today) to present eight persons who were allegedly picked up by the paramilitary force from different parts of Balochistan.
The apex court has time and again accused the FC of involvement in the disappearance of a third of all the missing persons in the province, demanding that the paramilitary body produce the missing men before the court.