QUETTA: The Supreme Court of Pakistan directed the deputy commissioner and Tehsildar Baghabna to produce nine missing persons who were abducted from Tutak area of Khuzdar district on February 18, 2011.
Advocate Sajid Tareen lodged an application in the Supreme Court stating that earlier three people, including the sons of local tribal elder Sardar Ahmed Ali Qalandarni, were whisked away from Tutak area. A few days later, he said, over 24 people were taken away from the same area. Nine people are still missing while others were freed after remaining in captivity for a few days.
On a query about who kidnapped these people, Tareen said the deputy commissioner and Tehsildar are well aware about this.
The court summoned Deputy Commissioner Khuzdar Tariqur Rehman and Tehsildar Baghbana who informed the court that they are making efforts to recover these people. Former deputy commissioner Khuzdar also appeared before the court as directed.
Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry expressed his serious concern and warned the deputy commissioner and Tehsildar to produce these nine people before the court on the next date of hearing otherwise they will be arrested.
Sardar Ali Ahmed Qalandrani, whose sons are among the missing persons, was present in the court but he did not utter a single word. “He will say nothing since he is hoping that his sons and others will be recovered soon,” one of his relatives said.
Local people of Tutak area claimed that security forces had launched a search operation in the area on February 18, 2011 and 36 people were whisked away. However, officials of the area did not confirm the incident at that time.
Balochistan security case: Four missing persons presented before SC
While four missing persons recovered from Killi Ismail area of Quetta were presented before the Quetta registry of the Supreme Court on Monday, the apex court ordered that the three men abducted from the Shal Kot area, on the outskirts of Quetta, should be presented on Wednesday, Express News reported.
A three-member bench, headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry was hearing the case on the deteriorating law and order situation in Balochistan.
The chief justice observed that the fact that mutilated bodies are recovered everyday is spreading hatred amongst the people of Balochistan.
The Supreme Court sought a list of all missing persons in the province from the advocate general of Balochistan and ordered that it should be presented before the court within 24 hours.
Justice Khilji Arif in his remarks said that the country had already undergone an enormous tragedy. Adding to his statement, Justice Tariq Pervez observed that Pakistan still cries for the demarcation of East Pakistan.
Justice Arif said that the government should realise that it needs to focus on the province right now as it needed attention.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ