Minister for Railways Haji Ghulam Ahmad Bilour said on Saturday that his statement on the restoration of Nato supplies had been misquoted.
The parliament will decide about the eventual fate of Nato supplies under recommendations of the national security committee, he said.
Addressing a press conference at the Railways headquarters, the minister said that he had, in fact, referred to the shortage of locomotives if the Nato supply was eventually restored.
Talking about problems being faced by the railways, he said that the government had approved Rs6.5 billion for restoration purposes of the department. Funds of Rs5 billion had also been approved for the restoration of 150 locomotives, while another Rs19 billion was allocated for the purchase of 50 new locomotives, he added. He also informed the media that a new track of about 12 km from Chaman to Spin Boldik had also been approved, adding that Afghanistan would lay track till Kandhar.
Published in The Express Tribune, March 25th, 2012.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ