ISLAMABAD: Director General Military Operations (DGMO) said on Thursday that they did not have orders to respond to the November 26 Nato attack. The statement was made at a cabinet meeting in Islamabad, sources said.
Responding to a question at the cabinet meeting on why the military did not respond to the attack, the DGMO said that they did not have orders to respond and that the communications system was destroyed. He added that in the future they would respond accordingly if attacked.
Prime Minister Syed Yousaf Raza Gilani presided over the Cabinet meeting at the Prime Minister’s Secretariat.
The Federal Cabinet was given a detailed briefing by the DGMO over the NATO/ ISAF attack on Pakistan’s border post in Mohmand Agency. It noted that Pakistan’s strong protest had been conveyed to all concerned and all necessary steps have been taken to upgrade the defenses of the country.
Restructuring of loss making govt entities
The Cabinet also discussed the reformation and restructuring of loss making government entities.
Gilani expressed his resolve regarding restructuring and reforms of Pakistan International Airlines (PIA), Railways, Steel Mill and KESC. It was decided that the Cabinet will meet every week instead of fortnightly to review the progress being made in the state owned enterprises wherein the finance minister will brief the Cabinet, presenting an overview of the reformation progress.
Gilani also expressed his resolve to reform and restructure the power and other public sector entities on a war footing and said that he will personally monitor the progress in this area.
According to sources, addressing the cabinet, Gilani said that President Asif Ali Zardari did not want to travel to Dubai but did so on the insistence of Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) leaders and cabinet members.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ