KARACHI: In an attempt to maintain the law and order during Muharram, a 25-point code of azadari [mourning processions] was announced by the Tehrik Nafaz Fiqh-e-Jafaria (TNFJ) at a press conference.
TNFJ Sindh president Syed Waqar Hasan Taqvi said that the government needs to restrict the activities of banned terrorist outfits if it wanted to maintain peace in the province. “We had several meetings with the authorities earlier this month,” he said. “We made it quite clear that this was the only practical way to improve the situation in Muharram.”
While speaking at the Karachi Press Club on Monday, he said that activities of terrorist organisations would continue even if they changed their names over time. He added that the incident at Numaish Chowarangi on Sunday was proof enough the government was being negligent. “A banned organistaion was allowed to hold a rally on MA Jinnah Road,” he said. “We hold our Muharram congregations there every year. What more can I say?”
Taqvi said that the government should take practical steps which were similar to the code of azadari drafted by TNFJ leader Agha Syed Hamid Ali Shah Moosavi.
“Terrorists have tried their best to pressure us into hiding in our homes,” he said. “For hundreds of years, we have defied all sorts of atrocities and we will continue to do so.”
He demanded that the government should establish Muharram azadari cells in the interior ministry to help solve any problems they may have. He also demanded that media houses should not broadcast dramas and musical programmes in the first ten days of Muharram. Taqvi advised political and religious leaders to suspend political activities during the first ten days too.
Published in The Express Tribune, November 29th, 2011.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ