KARACHI: Police conducted raids to arrest the co-accused persons involved in the alleged rape of a Jinnah Hospital trainee nurse, following her recorded statement on Tuesday. However, the suspects are still at large.
Earlier, the trainee nurse had submitted a statement saying she was sexually assaulted by more than one person.
Providing the names of those involved to the investigation team, the nurse said other doctors were involved in the assault aside from the main accused in the case, Dr Jabbar Memon. She also denied earlier reports stating that she had jumped out of the window, saying that she had been thrown out by her assaulters.
The investigation team involved in the case told Express 24/7 that they were satisfied with progress in the case and the government's support of the local police. They said that they will be able to prosecute those involved after recording the nurse's statement. The police has yet to record a statement by the accused Dr Jabbar as he is still said to be too ill to offer a statement.
President Asif Ali Zardari is also said to be watching over the case closely and has provided support for the ongoing investigation.
While protests have continued by both the nursing community and the christian community in Karachi, a local bishop expressed thanks to President Zardari for his support in the issue, as well as to MQM Chief, Altaf Hussain for his support.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ