Protection: ‘Why are the drone attacks continuing?’

Published: October 28, 2011
Email
Govt given till Nov 14 to file reply to petition filed by Hafiz Saeed.DESIGN: ESSA MALIK

Govt given till Nov 14 to file reply to petition filed by Hafiz Saeed.DESIGN: ESSA MALIK

LAHORE: 

Justice Sheikh Azmat Saeed of Lahore High Court on Thursday deferred till November 14 hearing of a petition filed by Jamatud Dawa head Hafiz Muhammad Saeed for implementation of the resolution unanimously passed by parliament against US drone attacks on Pakistani land.

On October 13, the judge had rejected a report and parawise comments of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and had directed the ministry to file a satisfactory reply.

During the proceedings on Thursday, Deputy Attorney General (DAG) Ziaul Qamar Bhatti produced a letter written by the federal government stating, “We are working to prepare parawise replies as per court’s orders which have not been completed, therefore, some more time be allowed.”

Saeed’s counsel AK Dogar said that implementation of the resolution was matter of protecting the rights of citizens as so far hundreds of people had been killed. He alleged the government was not sincere. He said the government was using delaying tactics and drone attacks were continuing. The government, he said, was inaccurate when it said the attacks had stopped.

The judge asked the DAG why this was happening and reminded him that this was a sensitive issue. The DAG replied that he could say nothing regarding the matter and would file the reply when received from the federal government.

Published in The Express Tribune, October 28th, 2011.

Facebook Conversations

More in Pakistan