ISLAMABAD: Director General (DG) Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) Major General Athar Abbas said on Tuesday that the army and Frontier Corps (FC) had been sent to areas bordering Afghanistan to stop militant attacks.
Talking to Radio Pakistan, Abbas said Pakistan will not allow militants to carry out attacks on the people and check posts in the area.
DG ISPR said that about 100 personnel of police, levies and paramilitary forces have so far been martyred in militant attacks from across the border during the last few months.
The International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) was informed about these attacks but no action has so far been taken, he added.
Abbas said that there seems to be no presence of Afghan army or ISAF in the vast area from where militants were operating against Pakistan.
He said about 37 security personnel were martyred in the Chitral attack, which was the first such attack and a matter of great concern for Pakistan.
(Read: “Cross-border attack: 26 security personnel killed in Chitral”)
Abbas also said that Dir was most affected by militant attacks and that terrorist groups fleeing from Swat were involved in these attacks.
He said Pakistan had strengthened all border check posts and increased their numbers in Dir.
Abbas said militants had safe havens in the Kunar, Nooristan and Nangarhar areas of Afghanistan and there were no security forces present there.
It seems that the militants are being supported locally and operating freely, he said.
He said Pakistan cannot an launch operation across the border. He also mentioned that the issue had been taken up with the Afghan Army personnel and ISAF, but no effective operation against the militants had been seen.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ