Afaq Ahmed case: ATC adjourns hearing till October 18

Landhi jail officials were unable to present Ahmed in the court due to security reasons.


Express October 11, 2011

KARACHI: An Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) in Karachi adjourned the hearing of kidnapping for ransom case lodged against Mohajir Qaumi Movement-Haqiqi (MQM-H) Chief Afaq Ahmed till October 18, Express 24/7 reported Tuesday.

Landhi jail officials were unable to present Ahmed in the court due to security reasons.

During the hearing today, police officials said that they have requested the interior ministry to conduct the trial inside Landhi jail.

Police had booked the MQM-H chief in a second case days after a court granted him bail in what was the last case against him. He had earlier been arrested by the Korangi police in a 10-year-old kidnapping for ransom case on October 6.

A water board worker named Khalid Hussain had claimed that he was kidnapped and tortured by men who told them they were doing it on the orders of the chairman of the MQM-H.

The Landhi police registered FIR No. 244/11 under Sections 342/109/506-B/337-(i) of the Pakistan Penal Code for Hussain on October 7. While Afaq is not mentioned by name, three others are: Raees Topi, Yameen alias Hakla and Ejaz Babu.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read