TODAY’S PAPER | May 21, 2026 | EPAPER

Tehran reviewing US response to its latest proposal: FM Spokesperson

Pakistan is helping to mediate talks between Washington and Tehran


Anadolu Agency/Web Desk May 21, 2026 2 min read
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei. PHOTO: AFP

Iran’s Nour News Agency reported on Thursday that Washington and Tehran exchanged messages through Pakistan over the wording of a proposed ceasefire document, according to Al Jazeera.

“Based on the original text of Iran’s 14 points, the exchange of messages has been carried out on several occasions,” Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said, according to Nour.

“We have received the views of the American side and are reviewing them,” Baghaei said.

Baghaei made the remarks during a visit to Iran by Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi.

Pakistan is helping to mediate talks between Washington and Tehran.

Trump official warns Iran of unprecedented military action over deal holdout

White House Deputy Chief of Staff Stephen Miller issued a warning to the Iranian leadership regarding the ongoing standoff as negotiations have failed to progress.

Speaking to Fox News, Miller said that the current administration in Tehran faces a critical ultimatum from the US.

“This new team in Iran has a choice to make,” Miller said.

“They can either agree to a piece of paper that is satisfactory to the United States, or they can face a punishment from our military, the likes of which has not been seen in modern history. That’s the choice that they face,” he said.

Iran says US failed to reopen Strait of Hormuz despite ‘tricks’

Iran said on Wednesday that the United States failed to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, despite what it described as repeated “tricks,” while an Iranian military source said Tehran possesses advanced weapons that have not yet been used in war.

According to remarks carried by Iran’s semi-official news agency ISNA, the political deputy of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Navy said the strait had been closed under orders from IRGC Navy Commander Alireza Tangsiri and claimed that Washington had failed to reverse the situation.

Read: Trump says US will give Iran talks 'one shot', is in no hurry

“The Americans, despite a thousand tricks and acts of deception, could not reopen it,” he said.

He added that all Iranian armed forces remained “with fingers on the trigger” and ready to respond to any future attack.

Separately, an Iranian military source said the country had developed advanced weapons that have not yet been used in war.

In remarks to the Russian state news agency RIA Novosti, the source said Iran faced no shortage in military or defensive capabilities and warned that it would not show restraint in any future confrontation.

Earlier Wednesday, Iran’s Persian Gulf Strait Authority announced a new oversight zone in the Strait of Hormuz requiring vessels transiting designated areas to coordinate with Iranian authorities.

Read more: Tehran moves to tighten Hormuz chokehold

The authority said the measure covered maritime routes between Iran and the United Arab Emirates at both eastern and western entrances to the strategic waterway.

Regional tensions have escalated since the US and Israel launched strikes against Iran in February. Tehran retaliated with strikes targeting Israel as well as US allies in the Gulf, along with the closure of the Strait of Hormuz.

A ceasefire took effect on April 8 through Pakistani mediation, but talks in Islamabad failed to secure a lasting agreement. US President Donald Trump later extended the truce indefinitely while maintaining a blockade on vessels travelling to or from Iranian ports through the strategic waterway.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ