TODAY’S PAPER | May 21, 2026 | EPAPER

FO says in contact with Somalia over hijacked tanker, hostage Pakistani sailors

Spox highlights diplomatic outreach with US, Iran and regional allies amid efforts to de-escalate Middle East tensions


Web Desk April 30, 2026 6 min read
Tahir Andrabi speaking at the weekly Foreign Office press briefing Photo file: X/FO

The Foreign Office (FO) on Thursday said that it was in contact with the Somali government over the hostage crisis involving Pakistani sailors aboard a hijacked oil tanker, adding that it believed the crew members were safe and secure.

During a weekly briefing, FO Spokesperson Tahir Andrabi said the oil tanker "Honor 25" was hijacked by pirates near the southeastern coast of Somalia on April 21 while carrying oil to the Puntland region. The vessel had 17 crew members on board, including 10 Pakistanis.

The FO said Pakistan’s embassy in Djibouti had approached Somali authorities, including their foreign ministry, and was informed that the vessel was anchored off the coast of Eyl in Puntland, a semi-autonomous region of Somalia.

“We have fair reason to believe that our crew members are safe and secure,” the FO said, adding that the Somali Ministry of Foreign Affairs had been “very cooperative” and was closely monitoring the situation.

According to the statement, Somali authorities had assured Pakistan that any updates regarding the vessel and the safety of the crew would be shared promptly. “They are trying their best to ensure that the safety and well-being of our detained Pakistanis and all crew members are taken care of,” it said, noting that local authorities and the ship’s owner were in contact with the pirates.

The FO highlighted Pakistan’s diplomatic efforts regarding the broader regional situation, saying engagement between concerned parties had continued following a ceasefire initiative.

“Let me underscore that these talks started after the call for a ceasefire by Pakistan, by our prime minister, that was very graciously accepted by both parties,” the statement said. “The ceasefire basically opened a window for substantive diplomacy, including dialogue between the two sides.”

It said the ceasefire had halted hostilities in the Gulf region, preventing further loss of life and damage to infrastructure. “This paved the way for the talks,” it added, noting that discussions held in Islamabad were followed by continued diplomatic engagement.

“The clock on diplomacy has not stopped. We remain hopeful of a negotiated settlement of this issue and will continue our sincere efforts for the cause of peace and prosperity in the region and beyond,” the FO said.

Commenting on the situation in the Strait of Hormuz, the FO described it as a matter of global concern, emphasising its importance as a key international shipping route for goods and energy.

“Pakistan has called for the security of ships and crew members, and the swift and safe passage of civilian vessels, and the restoration of normal transit through the strait,” the statement said.

It added that the current situation was adversely affecting countries worldwide, including Pakistan, with significant implications for regional and global economies.

“Normalisation of the situation is an important issue for all of us, particularly for the littoral states of the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz,” the FO said, adding that Pakistan supported the legitimate interests of Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries in this regard.

Separately, Andrabi said Pakistan was maintaining “sustained engagement” with both Washington and Tehran to support de-escalation and ceasefire efforts. He said Pakistan’s approach reflected its commitment to “constructive diplomatic engagement” aimed at promoting regional stability.

“Pakistan remains committed to regional stability and international peace, reflecting our preference for principled, dialogue-oriented diplomacy,” he said.

Also Read: Afghan brinkmanship

He added that Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, Deputy PM and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar, and Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of the Army Staff Field Marshal Asim Munir were engaged with key stakeholders, maintaining “open channels of communication” with both sides.

The spokesperson stated that PM Shehbaz held multiple telephone conversations with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, including a 45-minute call on April 19, reaffirming Pakistan’s commitment to regional peace.

During recent visits to Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Turkiye, regional leaders, including Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan appreciated Pakistan’s diplomatic role, he noted.

Andrabi further said an Iranian delegation led by FM Abbas Araghchi also recently visited Islamabad for talks on regional stability. According to diplomatic sources, Pakistan was quietly facilitating back-channel engagement between the United States and Iran aimed at easing tensions over the Strait of Hormuz and Tehran’s nuclear programme.

Iran has proposed prioritising the reopening of the strait while delaying nuclear negotiations, whereas Washington prefers a comprehensive agreement addressing both issues simultaneously. Despite strong public positions, sources suggest that the ceasefire between Washington and Tehran is likely to hold for now, with ongoing diplomatic efforts reducing the risk of immediate escalation.

Read More: Pakistan, China unveil 5-point Gulf peace plan

The spokesperson further informed that PM Shehbaz held discussions with European Council President Antonio Costa and New Zealand Prime Minister Christopher Luxon, both of whom appreciated Pakistan’s outreach.

Separately, an EU business delegation visited Pakistan, with more than 600 B2B meetings held, he said, highlighting investment opportunities in energy, IT and communications, he noted.

At the multilateral level, the “R4” group — comprising Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Turkiye and Egypt — met on the sidelines of the Antalya Diplomacy Forum, reaffirming their commitment to regional cooperation, he added.

FO condemns Afghan firing

The spokesperson condemned “unprovoked firing and shelling” by Afghan forces along the border, saying civilians were targeted in recent cross-border incidents, while reaffirming its diplomatic efforts to ease tensions between the United States and Iran, Foreign Office spokesperson Tahir Andrabi said during a weekly briefing.

He stated that Afghan forces opened fire on April 26 and 29 in the border areas of South Waziristan, including Angoor Adda. “Afghan forces have carried out unprovoked firing and shelling, targeting the civilian population,” he said, adding that women and children — including those aged three, eight and 10 — were among the injured.

Andrabi said several houses were also damaged, noting that local elders had condemned the attacks and demanded an immediate halt. “We echo these concerns and express our strongest condemnation,” he said, adding that Pakistan stands in solidarity with the affected families and is taking “all possible measures” to prevent further incidents.

Tensions between Pakistan and Afghanistan have sharply escalated in recent months amid mutual accusations over cross-border militancy. Islamabad maintains that militants linked to the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan operate from Afghan territory, while Kabul denies the allegations and accuses Pakistan of violating its sovereignty through alleged strikes.

Recent claims of civilian casualties in Afghanistan’s Kunar province have further deepened tensions, with Pakistan rejecting the reports as “false” and accusing Afghan authorities of misinformation.

The situation has strained already fragile relations since the Afghan Taliban’s return to power in 2021, despite intermittent mediation efforts and calls for dialogue.

On the Israel–Palestine situation, Andrabi said Pakistan has joined joint statements condemning Israeli actions, including violations at Al-Aqsa Mosque and concerns over the status of Jerusalem’s holy sites.

He also noted that President Asif Ali Zardari was currently on an official visit to China to mark 75 years of diplomatic relations.

During the visit, three memorandums of understanding were signed in desalination, agriculture and the tea sector, including a Karachi seawater desalination project, agricultural technology transfer in Sindh, and a tea industry partnership between Pakistani and Chinese firms.

Zardari also conferred the Sitara-i-Pakistan on Professor Pan Xiangbin in recognition of his contributions to cardiac care, describing it as a reflection of the “tangible benefits” of Pakistan–China cooperation in health and development, he maintained.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ