TODAY’S PAPER | February 22, 2026 | EPAPER

Pakistan launches cross-border strikes on seven terrorist camps after bombings

Airstrikes in eastern Afghanistan hit seven hideouts, killing several terrorists including commander Akhtar Muhammad


Khalid Mehmood February 22, 2026 3 min read
According to sources, jet aircraft struck terrorist shelters in Bermal district of Paktika, where loud explosions were heard across the area. SCREENGRAB

ISLAMABAD:

Pakistan carried out intelligence-based strikes on seven terrorist camps along the border with Afghanistan after a series of recent suicide bombings, including an attack on an imambargah in Islamabad and incidents in Bajaur and Bannu, officials said.

Security sources said Pakistan conducted a large intelligence-based aerial operation in eastern Afghanistan targeting seven key hideouts, killing several terrorists, including Taliban commander Akhtar Muhammad.

According to sources, jet aircraft struck terrorist shelters in Bermal district of Paktika, where loud explosions were heard across the area. Facilities used by terrorists were reported heavily damaged.

Afghan media reported that after Paktika, airstrikes were also carried out in Khogyani district of Nangarhar, targeting terrorist hideouts and suspected training centres.

In Afghanistan’s Margha area, an explosion at the Banoosi madrassa killed more than 10 people and injured several others. The area is linked to the network of commander Akhtar Muhammad. Two more targets were hit by jets in Kami district of Jalalabad, while aerial patrols continued, sources said.

Explosions at terrorist hideouts in Bermal resulted in multiple deaths, while sources said Akhtar Muhammad was killed in Paktia. Bombings across several Afghan areas destroyed terrorist infrastructure.

A Taliban spokesperson said the attacks had killed and injured dozens of people, including women and children, but Reuters was unable to independently verify the remarks.

Afghanistan's defence ministry condemned what it called the blatant violation of national sovereignty as a "breach of international law, the principles of good neighbourliness and Islamic values."

It added in its statement, "An appropriate and measured response will be taken at a suitable time."

Earlier Sunday, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting said Pakistan had “conclusive evidence” that recent attacks were carried out by terrorists described as “Khawarij” on the instructions of Afghanistan-based leadership.

“In the aftermath of recent suicide bombing incidents in Pakistan, including Imambargah at Islamabad, one each in Bajaur and Bannu followed by another incident today in Bannu during the holy month of Ramazan, Pakistan has conclusive evidence that these acts of terrorism were perpetrated by Khawarij on behest of their Afghanistan-based leadership and handlers,” the ministry said.

It added that responsibility had been claimed by Afghanistan-based members of the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan, their affiliates, and Islamic State-Khorasan Province.

Pakistan said it had repeatedly urged Afghanistan’s interim Taliban authorities to stop terrorist groups from using Afghan territory to launch attacks, but “no meaningful action” was taken.

“Despite repeated efforts by Pakistan to urge the Afghan Taliban Regime to take verifiable measures to deny use of Afghan Territory by terrorist groups and foreign proxies to carry out terrorist activities in Pakistan, the Afghan Taliban Regime failed to undertake any substantive action against them,” the ministry said.

It said Pakistan remains committed to regional peace but will prioritise domestic security. “Pakistan has always strived for maintaining peace and stability in the region, but at the same time the safety and security of our citizens remains our top priority.”

“In this back drop, Pakistan in a retributive response, has carried out intelligence based selective targeting of seven terrorist camps and hideouts belonging to Pakistani Taliban of FAK and its affiliates and ISKP at the border region of Pakistan Afghan border with precision and accuracy,” it added.

The statement urged Afghanistan’s interim government to fulfil its obligations and stop its soil from being used for attacks against Pakistan.

“Pakistan expects and reiterates Interim Afghan Government to fulfil its obligations and deny use of its soil by Khawarij and terrorists against Pakistan as the safety and security of people of Pakistan comes first and foremost,” it said.

Islamabad also called on international stakeholders to press Taliban authorities to honour commitments under the Doha Agreement.

“Pakistan also expects the international community to play a positive and constructive role by urging the Taliban regime to stand by its commitments as part of Doha Agreement to deny use of its soil against other countries; an act vital for regional and global peace and security,” the statement concluded.

– With additional input from Reuters

COMMENTS (2)

Benjamin | 49 minutes ago | Reply Breaking News 8 arrested for plotting terror attack in New Delhi India links to Pakistan s ISI Bangladesh under radar. Of the eight arrested six identified as Mizanur Rahman Mohammad Shabat Umar Mohammad Litan Mohammad Shahid and Mohammad Ujjal were caught in Tamil Nadu and brought to Delhi. Police said that many mobile phones and SIM cards were seized from them.
Babur | 6 hours ago | Reply Good. These intelligence based airstrikes in Afghanistan should be a regular occurrence and not something that happens only once a year. These Afghan Indian sponsored terrorist groups are not going to be dismantled until Pakistan Air Force continues to carry out these airstrikes on their terrorist training camps.
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ