TODAY’S PAPER | February 21, 2026 | EPAPER

King Charles 'ready to support' police interrogation of former prince Andrew's involvement with Epstein

The palace says that the King and Queen’s thoughts and sympathies are with the victims and survivors of Epstein


Pop Culture & Art February 11, 2026 2 min read
Photo: Reuters

King Charles has publicly addressed the latest wave of revelations tied to the Jeffrey Epstein files, stating that Buckingham Palace is prepared to assist police as they assess new allegations involving his brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.

In a statement, a Palace spokesperson said: “The King has made clear, in words and through unprecedented actions, his profound concern at allegations which continue to come to light in respect of Mr Mountbatten-Windsor’s conduct.”

“While the specific claims in question are for Mr Mountbatten-Windsor to address, if we are approached by Thames Valley Police we stand ready to support them as you would expect,” the spokesperson added.

Thames Valley Police confirmed it is reviewing whether there are grounds to investigate a complaint lodged by the anti-monarchy group Republic. The group reported Mountbatten-Windsor for suspected misconduct in public office and an alleged breach of official secrets.

The latest scrutiny follows the release of millions of additional documents connected to Epstein. Emails from the newly disclosed files appear to show the former prince forwarding official reports of visits to Singapore, Hong Kong and Vietnam to Epstein in November 2010 — just minutes after receiving them from his then-special adviser, Amit Patel. The files also appear to indicate that confidential details regarding investment opportunities in Afghanistan were shared with Epstein in December 2010.

Under official guidance, trade envoys are bound by a duty of confidentiality regarding sensitive commercial or political information gathered during official visits.

The Palace statement emphasised that the King and Queen’s “thoughts and sympathies have been, and remain with, the victims of any and all forms of abuse.”

The intervention comes amid mounting pressure on Mountbatten-Windsor after further claims emerged in the latest batch of documents, including allegations that a second woman was sent to the UK by Epstein for a sexual encounter with him. Photographs appearing to show him in a compromising position with a woman were also included in the files.

The controversy has also extended to his ex-wife, Sarah Ferguson, after emails signed “Sarah” surfaced in which support and money were allegedly requested from Epstein.

Public tension was visible earlier this week when King Charles was confronted by a heckler during a visit to Clitheroe, who shouted, “How long have you known about Andrew?” The crowd responded by booing the individual.

The Prince and Princess of Wales have also addressed the developments. A Kensington Palace spokesperson said they were “deeply concerned” by the latest revelations, adding, “Their thoughts remain focused on the victims.”

Last week, Mountbatten-Windsor was moved earlier than expected from Royal Lodge in Windsor to the King’s private Sandringham estate. In October 2025, following an earlier wave of Epstein-related disclosures, he was stripped of his titles as a prince and a duke.

Andrew has consistently and strenuously denied any wrongdoing. Being named in the Epstein files does not in itself indicate misconduct.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ