
More than a week after a fireworks warehouse explosion on MA Jinnah Road, repair and restoration work at the adjoining Government Girls Secondary School Jacob Lines No 1 has yet to begin, leaving over 1,000 students deprived of classes.
Teachers and staff, who continue to report daily, say academic activities remain suspended as they struggle with cleaning and minor repairs on a self-help basis. They accuse the Education Works Department of negligence, pointing out that no official reconstruction work has started despite repeated visits by government officials.
The August 21 blast had severely damaged the school's boundary walls, staff rooms, laboratories, library, auditorium, and washrooms.
Classrooms were also destroyed, while doors, windows, fans, furniture, and electrical systems were left unusable. Large cracks appeared in roofs, and debris and shattered glass still litter the premises. Electricity and water supplies remain disconnected, making the campus unsafe and unfit for teaching.
School Principal Samina Naimat told The Express Tribune that while education officers, the deputy commissioner, rescue officials, and representatives of the education works department visited the site and assessed the damage, no practical steps were taken.
"Two buildings, staff rooms, and the security guard's room are completely destroyed. The school is unsafe, teaching has been suspended, and teachers are raising donations themselves to restore it," she added.
Teachers reported that the absence of water and power has rendered washrooms unusable, forcing female staff to go to nearby places such as Taj Complex. Drinking water is unavailable, and the extent of damage to fans and lights remains unverified.
Teachers urged the government to urgently restore facilities and ensure schools are not exposed to hazardous warehouses in the future.
The school serves more than 1,000 students with 75 teaching and non-teaching staff. While attendance continues, classes remain suspended.
District East XEN Muhammad Sheikh told The Express Tribune that a detailed engineering survey had been conducted and an estimate of Rs100 million prepared for large-scale repairs.
Planned works include structural rehabilitation, provision of solar power, installation of water filters, electric water chillers and motors, rebuilding of eight washrooms, construction of two new halls and three rooms, roof repairs, and levelling of depressed ground portions.
The report has been forwarded to Assistant Commissioner Sajjad Ali Abro, Chief Engineer Askari, and Education Secretary Zahid Ali Abbasi, who has referred the matter to the Sindh Finance Department for release of funds.
"As soon as funds are released, reconstruction will begin," Sheikh said, adding that classrooms with minor damage may be temporarily used in the meantime.
COMMENTS
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ