Flood emergency imposed in 40 riverine areas

Over 4,000 people and 4,500 animals shifted to safety


Our Correspondent August 31, 2025 Less than a minute read
Local youth plug a breach in the Marala-Ravi Link Canal in Narowal. Over 3.500 residents of the district have been evacuated to save them from the ongoing floods. Photo: NNI

print-news
LODHRAN:

In view of the high flood situation in River Sutlej, the district administration has launched an operation to shift residents and livestock from vulnerable areas to safer locations.

Emergency has been declared in 40 riverine localities. Deputy Commissioner Lubna Nazir appealed to people living near the river to immediately move to safer places.

She said flood relief camps have been set up where all essential facilities are being provided for the affected families.

The DC further urged residents to cooperate with the administration and police to ensure their own safety.

According to official figures, so far 4,000 people and around 4,500 animals have been shifted to safe areas in Lodhran district.

On the DC's directions, district officers are also visiting affected localities to raise awareness regarding flood risks and precautionary measures.

Addressing residents of nearby villages, Additional Deputy Commissioner (Revenue) Syed Waseem Hassan said sandbags are being prepared as a protective measure to control the flow of water in case of an emergency.

He also appealed to citizens in flood-hit areas to relocate to designated safe sites where necessary facilities are available.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ