On the wire: Worker electrocuted, another loses hands

1 GEPCO worker dies from shock, another is in critical condition.


Ppi September 06, 2011

SIALKOT:


A meter reader was electrocuted while trying to repair wires after checking a meter in Badiana, Pasrur on Tuesday.


According to eyewitnesses, Gujranwala Electric Power Company (Gepco) worker Muhammad Asghar was electrocuted after receiving a severe shock from the damaged electrical wires. In another incident, Gepco lineman Muhammad Rafiq lost the use of both of his hands after he received a severe electrical shock while repairing the main electrical cables in Chawinda town on Tuesday.

Rafiq was asked by concerned Gepco officials to repair the main power supply lines which had been suspended for over a day.

As he tried to catch the damaged main line he received a severe electrical shock due to which his both of the hands were burnt and he fell down from the pillar.

Hospital officials said that both of Rafiq’s hands had to be amputated and that he was in the hospital in critical condition.





Published in The Express Tribune, September 7th, 2011.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read