Present anchor in court in 48hr: LHC

Court expresses displeasure at police's failure to follow procedure

Rana Yasif May 15, 2023
In the video Imran Riaz can be heard saying that he was coming to the federal capital to get bail from the Islamabad High Court. SCREENGRAB


The Lahore High Court (LHC) has directed Sialkot’s district police officer (DPO) to find the whereabouts of anchorperson Imran Riaz Khan and present him before the court in the next 48 hours.

LHC Chief Justice Muhammad Ameer Bhatti issued this order on Monday while hearing a plea seeking recovery of the journalist who has been missing for the last 5 days

The journalist, who is a staunch and vocal supporter of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan and his policies, was arrested by the police on May 11 from the Sialkot Airport.

The government had swung into action and started a crackdown against the PTI supporters after former premier Imran Khan's arrest from the premises of the Islamabad High Court on May 9 sparked widespread protests and rioting.

Imran Riaz Khan was reportedly arrested for allegedly inciting violence during clashes between security forces and the PTI supporters.

Read PTI activists detained for rioting set free by court

On May 12, the LHC ordered the inspector general (IG) of prisons to present the journalist in court on the same day. The IG, however, told the court that the jail authorities had already released Khan.

When the court resumed hearing in the case on Monday, CJ Bhatti suspended the SHO Sialkot Cantonment police station after he admitted failing to mention details with regard to the arrest of the journalist in the police station’s Roznamcha–diary.

The court recalled its suspension order after the law officer on behalf of the SHO and the DPO tendered an unconditional apology but asked the SHO to submit a reply in 7 days.

The DPO told the court that he had held a meeting with sector commander Lahore to know the whereabouts of Imran Riaz Khan but the sector commander also expressed his ignorance.

He said the police have registered an FIR over his disappearance. The DPO said the police officials are yet to go for the geofencing and to obtain CCTV footage. He requested the court to give him at least 48 hours to complete all due process. The court later accepted his request.

Read PTI activists detained for rioting set free by court



Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ