Rangers man on death row files for retrial in ordinary court

The ‘mohallah’ people who said they were terrorised testified after the SC said it was a terrorism case.


Zeeshan Mujahid August 18, 2011

KARACHI:


The fourth and last appeal in the Sarfraz Shah case was filed by Rangers jawan Shah Zafar, who was the only man out of seven, to be given the death penalty for killing the 19-year-old.


Zafar’s lawyer Shaukat Hayat filed the appeal on Thursday, challenging the power of the terrorism court to try the case instead of an ordinary one, like, say a sessions court. He argued that the evidence and statements made during the trial by “mohallah” or neighbourhood people were “manufactured evidence”. They had submitted that they had been “terrorised” by the incident. But, Hayat argues, they made these statements only after the Supreme Court had already declared the case a prima facie one of an act of terrorism.

This declaration came on June 10 in the SC’s suo motu proceedings. The entire evidence regarding the element of “terrorism” was concoted to make the case triable under the Anti-Terrorism Act, the appeal said.

Hayat described the charges framed by the ATC or trial court as “defective” and thus the conviction and sentencing under the charge sheet was illegal.

According to the defence, the ingredients of terrorism as defined in sections 6 and 7 of the ATA were missing. No common intention or planning for homicide or terrorism was proved by the evidence laid by the prosecution at trial, the appellant maintained.

The appeal also lays emphasis on Shahid Zafar’s “conduct”, who, with the other Rangers men, took the injured Sarfraz Shah to hospital. No terrorist takes the victim of his act of terrorism to a hospital and manages the treatment, the lawyer argued.

The Rangers acted lawfully while on duty, the defence maintained. They went to the park after receiving information that the public had caught a robber who needed protection against them.

The video was also managed and thus unreliable, stated the appeal, requesting the court to set aside the conviction and sentence and order a new trial before an ordinary court.

All four appeals were filed within the mandatory period of seven days and are likely to be heard next week.

Published in The Express Tribune, August 19th, 2011.

COMMENTS (6)

Omair Shakil | 9 years ago | Reply @Waseem: Are you in your senses? Do you really think that that young boy was trying to upstage 6 armed men, double his size? insensible..!
Waseem | 9 years ago | Reply

@Omair Shakil: Omar Shakil, i wait for the day when one of your family member is robbed on gun point and killed after by a robber, (God forbid, hope it never happens but just giving you a scenario.. ) and then if that robber is caught what would you do when rangers who caught him got direct order from the government to shoot any robber you see. ????? No where in the world there is a law that allows public to grab the weapon of law enforcement agency. This guy literally grabbed the weapon, he could have just stayed quiet and laid there if he was so innocent but no he kept grabbing the weapon and i say he was doing to attack the ranger, you may see it some other way but if you touch a weapon of police it means you are a criminal.

VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ