“The news item by an Indian News Agency speculating withdrawal of Pakistan’s GSP+ status is fabricated and a continuation of India’s malicious propaganda against Pakistan,” Foreign Office Spokesperson Zahid Hafeez Chauhdri said in a statement on Tuesday.
The news item by an Indian News Agency speculating withdrawal of Pakistan’s GSP+ status is fabricated and a continuation of India’s malicious propaganda against Pakistan. 1/3— Spokesperson 🇵🇰 MoFA (@ForeignOfficePk) July 27, 2021
The report had claimed that the European parliament has moved to withdraw Pakistan's GSP+ status over abuse of blasphemy laws.
India’s malicious smear campaign against Pakistan is well-known and independent organisations including EU DisinfoLab have established India’s credentials as a purveyor of anti-Pakistan propaganda globally, the spokesperson added.
“Even after India’s disinformation campaign being unearthed globally, Indian state and obliging Indian media remain busy in concocting baseless stories against Pakistan. The recent rumours are yet another demonstration of India’s nefarious designs,” the communiqué said.
The FO spokesperson said Pakistan and the European Union (EU) maintain close high-level engagement through multiple dialogue mechanisms, and Islamabad remains committed to full implementation of the 27 international conventions related to the GSP plus.
“Pakistan has successfully completed three biennial reviews of GSP Plus and the fourth biennial review is currently underway,” the statement quoted Zahid Chaudhri as saying.
Currently, the EU parliament is on summer recess till autumn and there has been no discussion on Pakistan since April 2021, the FO statement said.
Earlier in June, the EU also appreciated Pakistan’s efforts towards full implementation of the 27 international conventions stipulated under the continental bloc’s unilateral trade preferences scheme – GSP+.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ