Punjab Health Minister Dr Yasmeen Rashid on Tuesday said there has been no progress in the treatment of former premier Nawaz Sharif according to medical reports submitted.
The provincial health minister made the claim during a press conference after a picture of Nawaz at London restaurant surfaced earlier on social media.
After the picture went viral, Prime Minister Imran Khan took notice of the development and asked the provincial health minister for an update.
Dr Rashid said a special medical board had met on January 3 and stated that the reports submitted by the former prime minister’s team were insufficient.
She further stated that the opinion given by doctors in London was similar to the one given in Pakistan when the former premier was under treatment at a government medical facility.
Referring to Maryam Nawaz’s application for removal of her name from the Exit Control List (ECL), the provincial minister said: “Where will she take care of him? At a restaurant? You take care of a person who is bedridden, which he is not, according to them, he was moving around.”
On Monday, Federal Minister for Science and Technology Fawad Chaudhry launched a fresh verbal attack on the former premier by sharing a photo of him “enjoying a meal party” along with Shehbaz Sharif and other family members at a restaurant in London.
“Views of a meeting taking place at the intensive care unit (ICU) of hospital … the treatment of ‘eat and drink’ disease in full swing and all patients are already feeling better,” the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leader quipped in a Twitter post.
Ishaq Dar, who’s the father-in-law of Nawaz’s daughter, Shehbaz’s son Sulaiman Shehbaz and Nawaz’s eldest son Hassan can also be seen in the photo.
Nawaz’s son Hussain later clarified that his father was taken out for a walk and dinner with family members on the advice of doctors.
“This is also part of the treatment,” he told reporters.