LAHORE: Punjab Chief Minister Sardar Usman Buzdar said on Friday that incidents like the one that took place in Chunian were the result of police inefficiency and negligence. He warned law enforcers that all such acts must be stopped in future.
After reaching Lahore after performing Umrah, the chief minister called a high-level meeting at the Allama Iqbal Airport where he was presented the preliminary findings of the joint investigation team looking into the case.
Buzdar stressed over the need to work on an emergency basis to fix police incompetence.
The bodies of three minor boys were discovered from Chunian industrial area on Tuesday. One of the children was kidnapped two days ago, while the other two had been kidnapped two months ago. Another kidnapped child is still missing.
The Punjab Inspector General of Police (IGP) presented the progress report on the Chunian murder case. The chief minister expressed his utter dismay over the horrific incident, adding the tragedy could have been avoided if the children were recovered on time through modern policing techniques.
He made it clear that those failing to perform their duties would go home. “I will not tolerate any inefficient officials and negligent personnel will be held accountable.”
He said the system of the Special Branch would have to be further strengthened and streamlined. Buzdar stressed there was a need to work on an emergency basis to improve the police system. The chief minister ordered the deployment of an additional police contingent in Chunian for the arrest of the culprits.
“All our sympathies are with the bereaved families of the minor kids. The government of Punjab is with you and support will be provided in the best way possible,” the CM said.
Buzdar explained that the inquiry procedures have been taken forward to ensure the arrest of the accused as soon as possible. “The suspects will soon be caught and the government will make an example out of them. To ensure the true form of justice in this case, anti-terrorism provisions have been included and the case will be prosecuted in a special anti-terrorism court.
Buzdar announced a reward of up to Rs5 million for the person who would provide information about the perpetrators of this heinous crime. He assured that the informant’s identity would be kept secret. He ensured the media that the culprits will not be able to evade law enforcement agencies for long.
Kasur police have adopted a new strategy for the investigation of the recent rape and murder case of minor children in Chunian. The Dolphin Force will also be present in Chunian to help the ongoing investigation.
According to the new method, DNA tests will be conducted according to voters’ lists and census records to identify the suspects of the rape and murder of the minor boys.
Voters and census lists of the affected areas have been received by the police who will distribute the same to hospitals for easy access. Meanwhile, the DNA tests of more than 35 people have been conducted, thus far.
The Dolphin Force has been deployed due to control the recent surge of kidnapping, rape and murders of minor children.
For the first time, the Dolphin Force has started patrolling the streets of Chunian. Initially, ten teams of the squad were deployed in Chunian. A decision to this effect had been issued by senior authorities of the Police department.
A high-level joint investigation team (JIT) has also been formed to investigate the matter and requirements of justice would be fulfilled. “I will personally monitor the progress of the case,” he added. Provincial ministers Muhammad Basharat Raja, Hashim Dogar, Sardar Asif Nakai, Ansar Majeed Khan, the chief secretary, IGP, ACS, ACS (home), secretary information and others attended the meeting.
Published in The Express Tribune, September 21st, 2019.