Cop, security guard killed as 'drunken' men open fire in DHA

Unidentified assailants open fire in Khayaban-e-Bukhari neighbourhood and flee the scene unchallenged

Our Correspondent April 07, 2019
Unidentified assailants open fire in Khayaban-e-Bukhari neighbourhood and flee the scene unchallenged. PHOTO: REUTERS/FILE

KARACHI: One of the two accused involved in killing two persons, including a police official and a private security guard, in Defence Housing Authority (DHA) Phase VI has been arrested from a private hospital, while his accomplice fled after leaving him at the hospital in a drunken state.

According to police, two allegedly inebriated men in a white Toyota Vigo killed two men - one of whom died on the spot and the other succumbed to his injuries after being shifted to a hospital - and injured a citizen when they opened fire at them on Saturday night at Street 26, Khayaban-e-Bukhari within the jurisdiction of Darakhshan Police Station.

12-year-old dies in crossfire between police and suspected drug peddlers in Karachi

Police immediately started investigation of the incident and declared high alert in all hospitals across the city to inform immediately if anyone arrived in an intoxicated condition. Shortly after, a private hospital informed that a man, Nazeer Ahmed son of Muhammad Sardar Qandhari, was brought to the hospital by his accomplice, who left him at the hospital and disappeared. The police, on reaching the hospital, arrested Nazeer, while the search for his accomplice is still ongoing. The eyewitness of the incident recognised him.
According to the police, the arrested accused belongs to Chaghi, Balochistan. He had been nominated in another murder case and had been released on bail.

The incident
A man was shot dead while two others were injured when two armed men opened fire at around 3:20am late Saturday night in front of the Spanish Consulate, located in DHA Phase VI. The accused had fled the scene but left their car - registered against the number KV-0857. The police official on duty Abdur Rehman reached the spot on receiving the information with his team. The body and injured were taken to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC).

Thirty-five-year-old police official Khalid, son of Mehmood, died on the spot while 28-year-old Ramzan son of Allah Dita and 30-year-old Saeed Ahmed son of Allah Bachayo sustained severe injuries. Ramzan was a private security guard at a residence at DHA, who succumbed to his injuries at JPMC while Saeed, who worked with Ramzan, is still in critical condition.

The police official, Khalid, sustained two bullet wounds in the head and back while Ramzan was struck with two bullets in the head and chest. Ramzan and Saeed worked together at a bungalow near the crime scene and belonged to Liaquatpur. Khalid, on the other hand, was posted at the Darakhshan Police Station and belonged to Shikarpur.

The eyewitness
The eyewitness of the crime, Mumtaz, a security guard at the Spanish Consulate informed the police that a white Vigo was parked at the spot. After a while, a motorcycle rider came, who has now been identified as Khalid, and the two armed men shot him dead. Shortly after, two other men came on a motorcycle, now identified as Ramzan and Saeed, and the accused opened fire at them too. After that, a bullet proof Land Cruiser came and the accused went after the car but the driver of the Land Cruiser reversed and escaped. The accused attempted to fire at the Land Cruiser as well but their bullets had ended, said Mumtaz.

According to Mumtaz, the accused saw him talking on the phone as they were coming back towards their Vigo but he rushed into the consulate building. Later, when he came outside, police had reached the scene and the accused had fled, leaving their car behind.

The car
Clifton SP Suhai Aziz, investigation officers and forensic team reached the crime scene and began the investigation. Six empty bullet shells of a 9mm pistol and five live bullets were recovered from the scene. The CCTV footage from the cameras installed in the surroundings is being retrieved.

The car, taken into custody, was registered under the name of Nifaz - a resident of Marine Drive - according to CPLC records. The police raided the address but no one was there.
South SSP Pir Muhammad Shah said that the car was seen parked at Street 26, Khayaban-e-Bukhari late Saturday night. The two men sitting in the car fired at the police constable, two other men, chased another car that escaped and also ran after the security guards of the houses in the area but people gathered around them and they escaped leaving their car behind.

According to the South SSP, police had alerted all the hospitals to inform of any injured or drunken men. The police received information around 4:45am that a young man from DHA has been admitted to a private hospital in an unconscious condition. The police officials along with Clifton SP reached the hospital. The photograph of the accused was shown to the eyewitness and the injured man, Saeed, who recognised and confirmed that he was one of the armed men. The police arrested the accused, Nazeer.

Further investigation

South SSP said that bullet shells were recovered from the scene along with other evidences. Police have also found clues about the person who left Nazeer at the hospital and his house has been raided but the arrest couldn't be made. South SSP said that the case had been solved to a great extent as the car was in police custody and one of the accused has been arrested. The other accused would surely surrender because he doesn't have any other option, he said, adding that wine bottles have also been found from the car and police have taken them into custody.

South Investigations SSP Tariq Dharejo told The Express Tribune that a similar incident of firing at a car took place in 2018 in the jurisdiction of Sahil Police Station when a young man got killed. Thirteen accused along with Nazeer Ahmed were nominated in that murder case. That incident was the consequence of a personal rivalry and Nazeer had acquired bail from the court. Dharejo said that Nazeer's involvement in this incident shows his customary terrorism activities.
He further said that the medical examination of the accused will be done and it would be revealed if he was a drug addict. His family also has a record of being involved in drugs, said Dharejo, adding that they have multiple bungalows in Karachi. The FIR of the incident will be registered on behalf of the state and the sections of anti-terrorism act will be imposed, he said.

Cop's funeral

The body of the martyred police official, Muhammad Khalid son of Mehmood, has been sent to his ancestral land in Shikarpur for burial after funeral prayers were offered at the Garden South Police Headquarters on Sunday. The funeral prayers were attended by the deceased's family and neighbours as well as Sindh Inspector-General (IG) of Police Dr Kaleem Imam, Special Branch additional IG (AIG), Sindh AIG Mushtaq Ahmed Mehar, MPA Sheheryar Mehar, South and East deputy IGs, Karachi district SSPs and other police and Rangers' officials. The police troops saluted the martyred to pay their respects.

Khalid was 35 years old and was posted at the Darakhshan Police Station as an intelligence officer. He was appointed in the police department eight years ago and was posted at the Garden headquarters at first, after which he was transferred to Darakhshan. Khalid was married for seven years and was the father of two children - one of whom is five months old.

Sindh IG's condolences

Sindh IG Dr Imam paid his condolences to the family of the martyred and appreciated his services to the country and police department. Talking to the deceased's parents, he said that the Sindh police department would meet the educational expenses of Khalid's children and directed officials present there to complete all formalities for the provision of allowances to the family as soon as possible.


Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ