DERA GHAZI KHAN: Two minor children died and their mother is in critical condition after consuming kala pathar or Paraphenylenediamine – a chemical used in hair dye.
Police said Rabia Bibi consumed kala pathar and also made her children, both below three years of age, do the same. The kids were identified as three-year-old Kanza and one-and-a-half-year-old Hammad.
Rabia is a resident of Shah Jamal in Muzaffargarh. After consuming kala pathar, the condition of all three deteriorated. Hammad died on the spot while Kanza and her mother were rushed to a local hospital in Shah Jamal. Both patients were referred to DHQ Muzaffargarh.
Kanza also lost her life on her way to the hospital, while the mother Rabia was referred to Nishtar Hospital in Multan. She is being treated, but her condition is said to be critical.
Shah Jamal police station ASI Ashique Hussain, DSP Saddar Ghazanfar Tangwani and a police team reached the spot to start investigations.
According to the data provided by the Dera Ghazi Khan Teaching Hospital, at least 147 cases of poisoning through kala pathar were reported at its trauma centre in 2018. About 56 people lost their lives and 45% of the patients were saved through timely medical assistance.
During the last five years, more than 200 people have lost their lives. The trauma centre ICU In-charge Dr Ibrar Hussain Khosa told The Express Tribune said that a ban should be imposed on the open sale of kala pathar.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ