Two suspects killed as police van ambushed

Accuseds’ accomplices tried to free them from police custody

Our Correspondent March 13, 2019


At least two suspects were killed after a police van was ambushed by their accomplices in Faisalabad, Express News reported.

Saddar Police Station SHO Waheed Shahid said that a few days ago, a police team arrested two outlaws identified as Nasir Ali and Arshad, who were involved in committing robberies and were wanted for murder.

He added on the information received from the suspects, officials took them men to Chak No 246-RB in Dijkot area to recover arms and ammunition. He maintained that when the party was returning, at least eight armed accused in a car and a motorcycle intercepted the police van.

He highlighted that in a bid to free both the accused from police custody, the culprits opened indiscriminate fire on the police vehicle.

The SHO said that the policemen retaliated and during the crossfire, Nasir and Arshad suffered fatal bullet injuries and were killed on the spot.  However, their accomplices managed to escape from the spot.

Waheed revealed that the deceased suspects were habitual criminals and were wanted for a number of crimes.

He said that the suspects were involved in a number of robberies at petrol stations and had murdered five people during different bids. The police official said the accused also injured several people during armed hold-ups.

Meanwhile, police have registered a case against eight suspects under sections 302, 324, 427, 225, 353, 186, 148 etc and have opened investigations.

On February 15, a robber was killed during an encounter with police in Faisalabad’s Jaranwala area.

Reportedly, Muhammad Ashfaq, a resident of Dunya Pur, was travelling in his vehicle when two robbers on a motorcycle intercepted him near Balochni police station.

The culprits snatched mobile phones, Rs20,000 in cash and other valuables from him at gunpoint. In the meantime, people in the area informed police.

A police team reached the spot and challenged the robbers. The accused opened fire on the police team and tried to escape. During the shootout, one of the suspects Khurram was killed while Zulfiqar was taken into custody.