Sadiqabad picket attack toll rises to two

CPO says they are probing into attack from three angles as funeral prayers of the second constable offered

Our Correspondents March 02, 2019

RAWALPINDI/ ISLAMABAD: The death toll in the Sadiqabad police picket has doubled after a second cop, critically injured in the gun attack, succumbed to his wounds. His funeral was offered in Rawalpindi on Friday.

The remaining three police officers who were injured in the attack remain under treatment at the hospital.

Officers said that Sajid Mahmood, who was receiving treatment at the Benazir Bhutto General Hospital (BBH), had been injured when a lone gunman had walked up to the picket last week and drew guns in each hand and then unloaded into the police officers manning the check post.

The attack left at least five police personnel and a passerby injured. While one officer, Constable Zafraan had died of his injuries — shot thrice in the chest and the stomach — the same day.

Head Constable Mahmood, who had been shot in the neck, succumbed to his wounds late on Thursday. He leaves behind a widow and three children including two sons and a daughter.

Mahmood’s funeral prayers were offered at the Police Lines in Rawalpindi. It was attended by Deputy Commissioner Muhammad Ali Randhawa along with other senior police officers and locals.

Three angles

After attending Mahmood’s funeral, Rawalpindi City Police Officer (RCPO) Abbas Ahsan told the media that they were investigating the case from three different angles.

Ahsan said that only one attacker was involved and the case was registered after statements of witnesses and the victims were taken. A sketch of the suspect was also made using testimonies from witnesses.

The CPO further said that they were still investigating the case. One of the theories they were following was whether this was an assassination attempt. The other was whether this was an act of terrorism and the third was whether there was any personal enmity involved.

On the evening of February 21, a man walked up to the police picket set up at Sadiqabad Chowk. When officers approached him for a search, the suspect pulled out two handguns, one in each hand, and opened fire at the police picket.

The brazen attack initially left six people injured, including five police officers and a passerby.

The attack had spread fear and panic amongst the nearby crowd who tried to flee the area, causing a mini-stampede.

The attacker managed to escape afterwards.

Police then shifted the injured to a hospital for treatment but Constable Zafraan succumbed to his wounds.

Juice vendor killed

A fresh juice vendor was gunned down by two, armed motorbike riders in Sector E-11/2 on Friday.

According to the Golra police, Aliur Rehman told them that his brother Ghaniur Rehman was at his juice shop when a man named Yasir arrived in a car (LXA 9929) and ordered a glass of fresh juice.

When Ghani started preparing the order, two armed men suddenly appeared on a motorbike who shot at the storekeeper.

As a result, Ghani was mortally wounded while his attackers managed to flee.

Police shifted his body to the hospital for medico-legal formalities and have registered a case of murder. But they have yet to trace the suspects.

Published in The Express Tribune, March 2nd, 2019.


Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

Most Read