India set to impose president's rule in occupied Kashmir

Draconian measures in place by Indian occupying forces to control protests

News Desk December 19, 2018
A masked Kashmiri mourner holds up a Pakistani flag as others shout anti- Indian slogan. PHOTO: AFP

India on Wednesday imposed president’s rule in Indian-held Kashmir after the expiry of the six-month governor’s rule, paving the way for the central government headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to take all policy decisions related to the occupied territory.

Pakistan condemned the move as another step in the continuity of Indian brutalities and barbarism, with Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi urging the world organisations and defenders of human rights to play their due role to stop the atrocities against the innocent Kashmiris.

In June, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) pulled out of the governing coalition in IoK and the governor’s rule was imposed. In November, Governor Satya Pal Malik dissolved the assembly minutes before Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) laid claim with the support of National Conference and Congress.

OIC secretary general condemns human rights violations in Occupied Kashmir

President Ram Nath Kovind signed the proclamation for imposition of central rule in the state, which plunged into a political crisis in June after the Mehbooba Mufti-led coalition government was reduced to minority following withdrawal of support by the 25-member BJP.

A gazette notification issued on Wednesday said the President Ram Nath Kovind had received a report from the governor and after considering it he was ‘satisfied’ that president's rule in the state was needed. The notification took effect at the midnight. The governor would now set an election date.

Foreign Minister Qureshi, in a statement, said that imposition of president's rule was another step in the continuity of Indian atrocities and barbarism in occupied Kashmir. The demanded of the UN Secretary General to immediately appoint a special representative on the Kashmir issue.

The move comes amid escalation of Indian brutalities and a flagrant violation of human rights by the Indian forces in the occupied territory. On December 15, the troops killed as many as 11 Kashmiri youths during a cordon and search operation and firing of live ammunition on protesters in Pulwama.

Since then, a complete lockdown had been imposed by the Indian occupation forces as civilians take to the streets to march against the deaths. Authorities had also shut down mobile, internet and train services.

India puts IOK in lockdown after Pulwama massacre

The call for the march was given by the Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL), comprising Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik. On Monday, Indian forces arrested the Mirwaiz and Yasin Malik for trying to lead the march.

Geelani and the Mirwaiz Umar Farooq on Wednesday that India was trampling on the established democratic and moral values by keeping resistance leaders behind the bars after implicating them in fake cases.

According to Kashmir Media Service (KMS), Indian authorities have shifted Malik, the Chairman of the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front, along with eight party activists to an undisclosed location, while a complete shutdown was observed in Pulwama district for the fifth consecutive day.




Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ


Most Read