Former Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan (MQM-P) leader Farooq Sattar and Karachi Mayor Waseem Akhtar on Saturday exchanged heated words over Karachi’s anti-encroachment drive.
According to Express News, Sattar said Akhtar was not voted into power to destroy the city in the ongoing campaign.
Speaking to the media after a hearing of the Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC), the former MQM-Pakistan leader said that the livelihood of daily wagers was being ruined under the garb of the aforementioned campaign.
“You [Akhtar] were made the the city’s mayor to make it flourish, not ruin it,” Sattar remarked.
He went on to add that since the mayor gave the green light to the campaign, he would never be elected again.
Sattar feared that the growing unemployment as a result of the ‘destruction’ will only serve as a catalyst for a new wave of criminal activities in the city.
He asked the country’s top judge to take notice of the suffering being caused to the daily wagers. He also said that schools and homes were vacated without being given any alternative.
On the other hand, Akhtar hit out at Sattar saying, “If he claims that I’ve ruined the city, then he is responsible for ruining the MQM-P.”
“How can I respond to his questions; first he needs to tell me which party he’s a member of,” he quipped.
Akhtar claimed that only those shops rented by the Karachi Municipal Council had been demolished.