
Directives ignored
A special ATC bench declared the statements of police surgeon and medico-legal officer (MLO) inadmissible in the case pertaining to police encounters and illegal weapons. The court issued show cause notice to the healthy secretary on the absence of the police surgeon and the MLO. The court directed the health secretary to present himself on the next hearing on November 28 along with the police surgeon and the MLO. On November 20 the court had issued a show cause notice to the police surgeon and on November 12, the court had also issued notices to the MLO asking him to abide by the court's orders. However, both the officers ignored the court's directives and did not show up for the hearing. Cases against the accused regarding police encounter and illegal possession of weapons are registered at the Aziz Bhatti police station.
Chaudhry Aslam case
The ATC adjourned the hearing in the murder case of former senior superintendent of police (SSP) Chaudhry Aslam until the appointment of the IO. Suspects Zafar alias Sayeen and Obaid alias Aabi were produced before the court.
The prosecution told the court that the IO for the case had retired and the court was requested to adjourn hearings till a new officer is appointed. The court adjourned hearings until December 5 and declared leaders of banned outfit, Tehreek-e-Taliban, Mullah Fazalullah and Shahidullah Shahid as absconders. The suspects were arrested by the counter terrorism department (CTD) police. According to police, the suspects have confessed to be involved in reconnaissance and facilitation of the former SSP, Aslam, who along with his comrades was killed in a bomb blast on January 9, 2014.
Baldia factory fire
A special bench of ATC recorded the statements of ten witnesses in the Baldia factory fire incident and advised the prosecution to present more witnesses in the next hearing. Suspects Rehman Bhola and Zubair Charya, affiliated with MQM-P, were presented before the court. The court admitted the exemption request by Rauf Siddiqui while ten more witnesses, representing family members of the deceased, had their statements recorded. In their statements, the witnesses told the court that they got news of the fire through media. The court adjourned hearing till December 1. The prosecution has nominated a total of 720 witnesses in the case.
Robbery cases
An anti-terrorism court (ATC) sentenced culprit Thomas Maseeh alias Bali in armed robbery cases 15 years imprisonment and imposed a fine of Rs70,000. The culprit had been apprehended from the remits of the Frere police station by Rangers while he was robbing a woman. Weapons had also been recovered from the culprit. He was sentenced by the judge of special court number 1 of ATC after guilt was established.
Published in The Express Tribune, November 27th, 2018.
COMMENTS
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ