Amir admits to playing despite ban

ICC investigating the left-armer's appearance in league match.


Express/agencies June 08, 2011

LONDON:


Banned Pakistan fast-bowler Mohammad Amir admitted that he played for a Surrey club on Saturday after reports that the left-armer may have breached a five-year ban that was imposed on him by the International Cricket Council (ICC).


The 19-year-old confirmed the report that he played for Addington 1743 in a Surrey Cricket League Division One game, but said that he was told by the club that as it was only a friendly match it will not flout the ICC ban.

"I asked the club representatives if the match fell under the jurisdiction of the ECB and they informed me that it didn't," he said. "They told me that it was a friendly match and wouldn't contravene my ban. I wouldn't be stupid enough to knowingly play in a match that would contravene my ban."

The ICC has already begun an investigation and its spokesman Colin Gibson confirmed that Amir's ban "is absolutely worldwide covering all levels and any activities connected with cricket".

"We're investigating and awaiting the details," said Gibson. "If true, it's a breach of the sanction."

Earlier this year, the ICC accused Amir of playing a practice match in Pindi Stadium between two local teams. However, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) claimed that the match was unofficial and was therefore not in violation of the code of conduct.

Amir, Mohammad Asif and Salman Butt were arrested after being accused of playing deliberate no-balls in the fourth Test match at London’s Lord’s Cricket Ground last August and barred them from participating in the game at any recognised level.

Published in The Express Tribune, June 9th, 2011.

COMMENTS (9)

Furqan | 10 years ago | Reply @Adnan: Totally agree with u bro
Adnan | 10 years ago | Reply Somebody should ask those morons in the ICC whether this includes 'Quick Cricket' in case Amir wants to bowl a few in his back garden. What a ridiculous ban, disproportionate and aimed simply at wrecking the career of a (then) 17 year old, talented fast bowler. If he made a mistake, fine him, ban him from playing international cricket for a couple of years and then let cricket lovers all of the world watch him again and enjoy his exposition of the beautiful art of swing bowling. IF he made a mistake. Nobody trusts the ICC, they are a bunch of inept, incompetent fools, bent on destroying the game of cricket. Let this boy and others be given a fair hearing by an independent tribunal. The so-called source of these allegations, The News of The World, is the UK's most discredited, trashy and third-rate newspaper. It is mired in controversy and is currently facing a series of lawsuits from politicians, celebreties, sports personalities etc for illegal hacking into their mobile phones. And this is the sourec of these allegations? You have got to be joking!!! And where is this boy supposed to play cricket in the meantime, while this farcical drama rolls on? On MARS???????
VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read