Gastro, jaundice claim four more lives

Published: October 22, 2018
Email
Photo:FILE

Photo:FILE

RAHIM YAR KHAN:  

At least four people, including a minor died due to jaundice and gastroenteritis, while seven others were admitted to Sheikh Zayed Hospital over the past 24 hours in Rahim Yar Khan.

The total number of casualties since the outbreak has crossed 100, data collected by Express News revealed.

Health officials at Sheikh Zayed Hospital said that two-year-old Raheel Qadeer, 50-year-old Bharawan Mai, 65-year-old Saeed Ahmed and 45-year-old Muhammad Aslam were admitted to the health facility in critical condition after suffering from jaundice and gastro. However, their condition continued to deteriorate and they later died.

The bodies of the victims were handed over to their families after completing legal formalities. Meanwhile, seven other people infected with gastro and jaundice were also admitted to the health facility. The patients were identified as 45-year-old Sardaran Mai, 65-year-old Naseer Ahmed, eight-year-old Abdul Wahab and others.

Jaundice and gastro epidemics hit Rahim Yar Khan earlier in May and resulted in the deaths of several patients including children. Currently, the entire district is plagued by the two diseases. Hundreds succumb to these ailments each year and the government has failed to counter the situation effectively. Most government-run hospitals lack adequate facilities and medicines to treat such patients.

Earlier, health experts told Express News that gastroenteritis and jaundice occur when bacteria cause an infection in the gut. This causes inflammation in the stomach and intestines.

They advised people to consume boiled water and wash their hands before eating meals.

They said the main reason behind digestive disorders is the consumption of substandard food, spicy food and junk food and not getting enough exercise. They said most of the patients suffering from deadly ailments were children belonging to villages and their surrounding areas.

Experts urged citizens to check the quality of food before buying it from shops as using unhygienic and recycled leftovers may cause severe stomach problems.

They pointed out that eating dishes made with leftovers could be major source of food poisoning, worsening one’s health if it reheated or stored improperly.

These items include eggs, potatoes, rice, chicken, and mushrooms. They said leftovers cannot be kept for several days in the refrigerator as this practice may encourage the growth of bacteria.

Facebook Conversations

More in Punjab