Huawei, with its headquarters in Shenzhen, China, is a networking and telecommunications giant that has been setting new benchmarks in the smartphone industry with its unparalleled service delivery. Currently, it is ranked among the top international telecommunications equipment manufacturers; it took over Ericsson in 2012.
This year, it was promoted to the second rank in the smartphone industry; its smartphone sales exceeded 100 million units by July 18 2018. Huawei has introduced prominent series in mobile sets including:
- Huawei Mate
- Huawei Nova
- Huawei P
While Huawei Mate is for people who are looking for the ultimate performance, Huawei Nova caters to young and dynamic individuals and Huawei P represents Tech X Art.
More on Nova
Huawei Nova series takes its name from the Nova Star which became extremely popular in 2016. The series not only provides the ultimate gaming experience but also delivers a unique experience through its stunning design. On top of that, its immersive entertainment and multimedia coupled with intelligent photography promises a complete user experience. In short, it embodies all the specifications that young individuals want in an ideal smartphone.
Synergy with fashion industry
Huawei is working with renowned designers from the luxury fashion and automobile industries like the London Design Center and Paris Aesthetic Center.
Crispier images with AI enhanced dual front camera
Artificial intelligence, sometimes called machine intelligence, is a simulation of human intelligence. It involves features like speech recognition and learning. AI has been integrated in the dual front cameras to achieve the following results:
- Characters and background are optimised using different strategies to achieve the best selfies
- Customised beauty algorithm for users from different regions and with different skin tones
Pioneering innovations for better experience
- Huawei is making inroads in the newly introduced AI photography. It has adopted the Neutral processing Unit (a CPU that takes the modeled workings of how a human brain operates onto a single chip) in order to facilitate the AI experience.
- In the photography department, it has also incorporated Graphic Processing Unit (a computer chip that performs rapid mathematical calculation) primarily for the purpose of rendering images. It has turbo hardware and software co-acceleration with the ultimate gaming experience.
The path to a greater future connectivity
- AI Smarter interaction
- AR/VR More immersive expensive
- 5G more extensive connections
To work for constant improvement in the highly competitive and rapidly advancing smartphone industry, it is imperative to invest in Research & Development (R&D). According to Huawei, it has roped in and engaged global talent in smartphone research and development in 14 R&D centers and 36 innovation centers.
Some of them include:
- Sweden (Quality)
- Paris Aesthetic center
- London Design center
- R&D in China Shanghai, Shenzhen and Beijing Xi’an Wuhan
- Korea R&D Center (Design)
- Japan R&D center (Multimedia & Material)
- India R&D center (Software)
Long term commitment to higher R&D investment
- R&D investment of 10.4 billion euros was made in 2017 alone
- This accounted for 14.9% of revenue
Patent construction of core competence
- Ranked number 1 in the world and applied for 2398 patents in the EU in 2017
- 74,307 items accumulated patent authorisation last year
Top R&D labs in the industry
- Hardware lab – Hardware automation test and white box test
- RF antenna lab – Industry leading antenna test capacity
- Multimedia lab – Audio video and camera test capabilities
- Security attack and defense lab – Device security attack and defense test environment
- Automatic testing centre – Full function verification on a large scale
- Communication protocol test lab – Global voice test centre and global carriers network mirror
- Third party compatibility lab – Third party end to end test environment
- Reliability lab – Mechanical, climate and reliability capabilities
- DevMark lab – Materials, processes, structures and DFT/DFM