CAIRO: Ousted Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak and his two sons, Alaa and Gamal, are to face trial on August 3 on charges of ordering the killing of protesters and fraud, a judicial source told AFP Wednesday.
The trio will be tried by the North Cairo criminal court and the hearing will be presided by Judge Ahmed Rifat, the source said.
Businessman Hussein Salem, a close associate of the Mubaraks, is to face trial on the same date on the same charges, the source said.
Mubarak has been in custody in hospital since April 13 after reportedly suffering a heart attack during questioning about the killing of anti-regime protesters and fraud.
The spectacular fall of one of the region's most powerful leaders after 18 days of nationwide anti-regime protests was followed by repeated calls for his trial.
The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, which took power when Mubarak was ousted on February 11, has vowed to bring to justice all those found guilty of abuse, but has been criticised for its handling of the transitional phase.
Mubarak and his two sons were last week referred to a criminal court on charges of ordering the killings of anti-regime protesters and graft.
The murder charges may lead to a death sentence if Mubarak is found guilty, the justice minister said earlier this month.