KARACHI: The Sindh High Court has issued notices to the respondents in a case relating to the dual nationality of Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) leader Habib Jan Baloch.
A two-judge bench heard the case on Monday. Baloch's lawyer, Khawaja Naveed, argued that his client had surrendered his British nationality.
PPP holds caretaker govt responsible for failing to protect Bilawal in Lyari
The bench inquired whether Baloch's British nationality had been surrendered on the day of scrutiny of nomination papers to contest the general elections 2018. Summoning a reply from the respondents, the bench postponed the hearing till July 11.
After the hearing, Baloch told the media that he was hopeful the court's decision would be in his favour. He said he had repeatedly declared that he had given up his British nationality on May 4.
He had received confirmation from the British authorities that a request to forego his British nationality was received. He asked to be allowed to contest the elections on a conditional basis. He claimed that if he won, he won't take the oath till receiving the certificate. It takes six months to receive the certificate, he said.
"I am happy that I have returned to my country," he said.
Meanwhile, Baloch condemned the incident that occurred at PPP Chairperson Bilawal Bhutto Zardari's rally on Sunday.
He said that Bilawal was taken to Lyari on the first day by Sherry Rehman and then by Nabil Gabol on the second day. He said the welcome they received on the first day should have given them an idea that taking Bilawal to Lyari was inappropriate.
"Bilawal should take precaution as we have already lost Benazir Bhutto," he said, requesting Bilawal and his workers to take precaution in their movement. He also called upon Rehman to refrain from making mistakes that would hurt the Bhutto family.
Rocky welcome for Bilawal in PPP ‘stronghold’
Naqeebullah murder case
Meanwhile, the SHC directed the lawyer of the prime accused in the Naqeebullah murder case, former Malir SSP Rao Anwar, to appear before court at any cost.
The plea against declaring Anwar's house as a sub-jail was heard by a two-member bench on Monday.
The bench directed Anwar's lawyer to appear before court at all cost. The hearing was adjourned till July 11 due to the absence of Anwar's lawyer.
Naqeebullah's father, Muhammad Khan, had filed a plea against declaring Anwar's home as a sub-jail, in which he maintained that it was illegal. Interior ministry, without any notice, has kept Rao Anwar in his home.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ