‘England ready to defend best in ODI tag’

By AFP
Published: June 12, 2018
SHARES
Email
Jonny Bairstow believes Eoin Morgan's men can handle everything that came with being top of the rankings. PHOTO COURTESY: TWITTER/ ENGLAND CRICKET

Jonny Bairstow believes Eoin Morgan's men can handle everything that came with being top of the rankings. PHOTO COURTESY: TWITTER/ ENGLAND CRICKET

LONDON: Jonny Bairstow has insisted England can cope with the pressure of being the world’s top-ranked one-day international side as they head into a five-match series against Australia on the back of a shock six-run defeat by Scotland.

Sunday’s stunning reverse in Edinburgh was England’s first match since rising to the top of the global ODI rankings.

But despite Bairstow becoming the first England batsman to score ODI hundreds in three successive innings, England failed to chase down a target of 372 after a superb 140 not out by Calum MacLeod laid the platform for Scotland’s stunning win.

England stop the rot with thumping win over Pakistan

Defeat raised questions about the ability of England, who have never lifted the World Cup, to win ‘one-off’ clashes but Bairstow said Eoin Morgan’s men could handle everything that came with being top of the rankings.

“It is part and parcel of the game,” he explained. “You get to number one and people are going to want to beat you, but you want to be number one in the world. We set our stall out to be number one in the world and that’s where we are, whether we were number one in this game or not, Scotland would still be delighted to win, it’s not just because we are number one.”

England though will not have long to absorb the lessons of that loss, with the first ODI against Australia at The Oval on Wednesday.

It is a match that pits 2019 World Cup hosts England against title-holders Australia.

England beat Pakistan in second Test, draw series 1-1

England enjoyed a 4-1 series win over Australia ‘Down Under’ earlier this year but will be confronted by a new-look side in London.

Not only have former Australia captain Steve Smith and his deputy David Warner — two of the world’s best one-day batsmen — been given year-long bans for their role in the ball-tampering scandal in Cape Town in March — but Australia are also without their injured Ashes-winning fast-bowling trio of Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood.

“It’s a completely different challenge and a completely different team that we will be playing,” said Bairstow. “It’s a team that has a lot of new guys in, without Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins, Warner, Smith, so there are guys wanting to compete for places and we know just how dangerous that can be when people are pushing for a permanent place.”

Facebook Conversations

Leave Your Reply Below

Your comments may appear in The Express Tribune paper. For this reason we encourage you to provide your city. The Express Tribune does not bear any responsibility for user comments.

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. For more information, please see our Comments FAQ.

More in Sports