Feature film to be made on Harvey Weinstein sex scandal

Published: April 26, 2018
Email
PHOTO:FILE

PHOTO:FILE

LOS ANGELES,: A behind-the-scenes dramatisation on how The New York Times broke the story that accused powerful Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein of a pattern of sexual misconduct will be developed as a feature film.

Annapurna Pictures and Brad Pitt’s Plan B Entertainment acquired the film rights to the story by journalists Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey, Annapurna spokeswoman Ashley Momtaheni said.

The story sparked the #MeToo movement exposing workplace harassment and won a Pulitzer Prize last week.

Harvey Weinstein targeted a ‘hit-list’ to cover up his sexual abuse

The film will show how the journalists’ story came together and will be treated in a similar way to 2015 Oscar winner Spotlight, about the Boston Globe’s reporting on sexual abuse in the Catholic Church, Momtaheni said. “The film is not expected to focus on Weinstein himself,” the spokeswoman added.

The original investigation by Twohey and Kantor into Weinstein’s alleged behavior was published in October 2017.

The two reporters were honored last week with a Pulitzer Prize, the highest honour in American journalism, along with Ronan Farrow who reported on Weinstein for the New Yorker magazine.

Meryl Streep under threat over Harvey Weinstein denial

More than 70 women have accused Weinstein, who was once one of Hollywood’s most powerful figures, of sexual misconduct, including rape. Weinstein has denied having non-consensual sex with anyone.

A representative for Weinstein did not have immediate comment on the deal. Annapurna has partnered in the past on films with The Weinstein Company.

Plan B is best known for producing three Oscar best picture winners, 2006’s The Departed, 2013’s 12 Years a Slave and 2016’s Moonlight.

Have something to add to the story? Share in the comments below.

Facebook Conversations

More in Film