LAHORE: Pakistan Electric Power Company (Pepco) has directed chief executive officers (CEOs) of all state-owned power distribution companies to provide the sanctioned and pending electricity connections, specifically for industrial and commercial consumers, without unnecessary delay.
The directive was issued by the Pepco managing director following a review meeting held in December. In a letter addressed to the CEOs, the Pepco managing director emphasised that early provision of power connections would help consumers avoid hassle and save opportunity cost due to loss of revenue to the public exchequer.
Power companies warned against unplanned outages
Taking notice of the cases referred to the Ministry of Energy (Power Division) and Pepco, the managing director said all the CEOs had the competent authority to take decisions without any limit on the power connection/load in their respective areas of responsibility.
He called for facilitating consumers at all levels with the warning if the situation did not improve in subsequent monthly reviews, Pepco may consider extreme measures like referring the matter for investigation by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) and Federal Investigation Agency (FIA).
Last week, Power Division Minister Awais Ahmed Khan Leghari had announced that some heads would roll in the electricity distribution companies in January due to their poor performance.
“We are reviewing the performance of distribution companies and some of the heads will roll in January,” he said.
Electricity, gas distribution companies to establish complaint centres
He was speaking at a press conference in Islamabad at the launch of mobile application “Roshan Pakistan” designed to give consumers access to vital information about their electricity bills and the supply situation.
Responding to a question about the measures taken to recover receivables of power companies that had gone up to Rs800 billion by September 30, 2017, Leghari clarified that collection of the receivables was one of the key performance indicators set by the government.
Of the Rs800 billion in receivables, Rs600 billion was due to be paid by the private sector.
Published in The Express Tribune, January 2nd, 2018.
Like Business on Facebook, follow @TribuneBiz on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ