Tough on crime: SIM cards, mobile IDs to be reverified: Malik

New cards to be posted to identi­ty card addres­ses.


Express April 26, 2011

KARACHI:


Pre-paid phone SIM cards and the IMEI numbers of mobile phone sets will be reverified against ID cards within thirty days.


This was announced by Federal Interior Minister Rehman Malik at a press conference with Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah at CM House after a meeting on law and order situation on Tuesday. No new SIM cards will be issued to anyone - instead they will instantly be sent through registered post to the ID card address whether permanent or temporary.

The FIA and police have been instructed to spring raids on people if they do not comply with these instructions.

The Sindh police have been told to collect data on suspects and share the information with the ministry of interior and the agencies and other provinces so that action can be taken. Meanwhile, the police will also submit a list of people who have committed crimes earlier and are out on bail.

The interior minister put the number of target killings in Karachi from January to April this year at 153 and added that 557 people were murdered.

To a question, he said that government had clues on who had targeted the naval buses. It is the same organisation that was involved in the terrorist attacks in different places in Karachi. “After the tribal areas, these terrorists have come to Karachi to disturb the law and order situation, but we will bust their gangs,” he said.

The minister said that they had talked to political leaders about the violence in Karachi and especially the target killings. Banned outfits will not be tolerated under new names.

The provinces are coordinating to prevent criminals from taking refuge in neighboring provinces. The officials also decided that no one will be allowed on a crime scene till the forensic experts clear it.

For his part, Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah said that hardly one target killing had taken place within twenty four hours. “We have taken measures to control the target killings, I hope Karachi will be free from this menace soon,” he said.

Malik appreciated the efforts being made by the police and Rangers and the IG. He said that the CCPO shall be awarded for gallantry.

Published in The Express Tribune, April 27th, 2011.

COMMENTS (1)

MS- Mariya | 10 years ago | Reply Went to a mobile company office to block an annoying phone call and guess what....the mobile had been issued to a DEAD MAN. Not just this..the dead man had 7 more mobile numbers taken out. This is a serious crime and can not be committed without the help of mobile companies.
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read