KARACHI: A division bench of the Sindh High Court issued notices to the RPO Sukkur to arrest the men involved in the gang rape of an 11-year old girl and to produce them before the court.
The bench comprised Chief Justice Sarmad Jalal Osmany and Justice Zahid Hamid. On Friday, the investigation officer informed the court that accused Hasan and Allah Dito had been arrested and that the DPO Dadu had formed a team to go after the other men. The investigation officer told the court that there were two witnesses to the case as well - Ghulam Sabir and Mohammed Azeem. In a letter to the chief justice of the Sindh High Court, the Women’s Action Committee had alleged that opponents of Bachal Leghari, a resident of Dadu, had in revenge for a case against them kidnapped the girl Z on May 5 and subjected her to criminal assault.
She was rescued by people from the neighbourhood and the men fled. The accused were identified as Laeeq Leghari, Hasan Jamali, Allah Dito and Allah Dino. The letter said that since the accused men wielded influence, the police were not taking any action. The chief justice converted the letter into a suo motu case.
Published in the Express Tribune, May 22nd, 2010.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ