Muslim man searched in London for wearing 'too many clothes'

Published: July 11, 2017
PHOTO: SCREENGRAB/ALJAZEERA

PHOTO: SCREENGRAB/ALJAZEERA

A muslim man was stopped and searched in broad day light in London for wearing too many clothes.

The man who has not been named was heading for his Friday prayers, when a woman concerned that he was donning three layers called the cops to search him. He was later hand-cuffed and asked questioned.

Miss South Africa accused of racism for wearing gloves at orphanage

The lady stated that wearing “two three layers” in this weather seemed suspicious to her, according to Al Jazeera. The police took note of her suspicion and interrogated the man, and found nothing out of ordinary or harmful in his attire.

Twitter reacted to this event by sharing disappointment and outrage at the lady and at the London police:

Rebirth of an American racism

In a statement released by the man through Documenting Oppression Against Muslims (DOAM), he said , “I was rushing to Jummah Salat (Friday prayer) and, when I was near the mosque all of a sudden the police come and put handcuffs on me”. “The woman (who stopped me) — the undercover police officer said I was wearing too many clothes… but I was wearing two layers of clothes.”

“The police falsely accused me of carrying a weapon,” the man’s statement added. “They searched me and found nothing as usual.”

The police let go of the man bearing no charge on him whatsoever and later apologised for the trouble caused.

• Mohammed Mirza
    Jul 11, 2017 - 1:59PM

They are paranoid. He should lay charges against the ladyRecommend

• old eagle
    Jul 11, 2017 - 2:05PM

I never seen in uk people who in sports events run naked in grounds, handcuffed.
    Shame shame for double standards.Recommend

• Faisal
    Jul 11, 2017 - 2:20PM

Its no big deal. The UK has been threatened and attacked by the ISIS animals and so if in July someone was wearing 3 layers of clothing, then a search would be ok. Its the world we live in. If innocent, as in this case, then sorry for the inconvenience but this is the world we live in. Recommend

• Bunny Rabbit
    Jul 11, 2017 - 4:07PM

if he has nothing to hide then why get upset ? Recommend

• Harry
    Jul 11, 2017 - 4:23PM

Given the recent frequency of terrorist attacks the search of Muslim man is understandable and logical.Recommend

• uruba nasir
    Jul 11, 2017 - 4:52PM

@Harry:
    Oh and what about the terrorist attacks against Muslims in the UK! They should handcuff and check others others too then! It’s just this that if I don’t wear clothes appropriately then he/she should not be wearing too. Freedom of expression, just proved themselves wrong!Recommend

• uruba nasir
    Jul 11, 2017 - 4:57PM

@Faisal:
    ALLAHU ALAM He SWT will see you and I hope that you get His love not hate because He is the witness over everything.Recommend

Leave Your Reply Below

Your comments may appear in The Express Tribune paper. For this reason we encourage you to provide your city. The Express Tribune does not bear any responsibility for user comments.

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. For more information, please see our Comments FAQ.

More in World