A five-year-old boy detained and 'handcuffed' at Dulles International airport in Washington DC could have been a security threat to the United States, the White House has said.
“To assume that just because of someone’s age and gender they don’t pose a threat would be misguided and wrong,” The Independent quoted US president’s press secretary Sean Spicer as sayuing.
Trump immigration ban loses first legal battle
The minor, reportedly a US citizen with an Iranian mother, was held at the airport along with over 100 others following the immigration order signed by President Donald Trump.
In the most sweeping use of his presidential powers since taking office, Trump signed an executive order on Friday to pause the entry of travellers from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen for at least 90 days.
The travel curbs began immediately, causing confusion for would-be travelers with passports from the seven countries.
US Senator Van Hollen, a Democrat, said the act was ‘outrageous’ because the child’s mother had already informed the authorities about his arrival and detaining the five-year-old kid for four hours was unwarranted.
This 5-yr-old U.S. citizen & Maryland resident is not a threat to our country. Donald Trump's executive order is. https://t.co/XAECfWEKNx— Senator Chris Van Hollen (@ChrisVanHollen) January 30, 2017
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ