KARACHI: A multi-storey textile mill located in SITE area was partially gutted in a fire on Monday morning. No loss of life was reported.
After the fire broke out at Ismail Textile and Dying Factory, fire tenders immediately rushed to the site to extinguish the blaze. According to the fire brigade department's spokesperson, the department received information at around 6am that a fire had erupted on the ground floor of a mill. The spokesperson added that initially two fire tenders were rushed to the site but later 21 more vehicles with two water bowsers were dispatched to extinguish the flames.
Fire engulfs residential building in Karachi
The spokesperson informed that the mill was closed when the fire erupted, while about half-a-dozen people, including the guards, were inside the factory, however, they managed to come out of the building safely.
Declaring it a third-degree fire, the firefighters said that because of cotton and chemical material inside the mill, they had difficulty in extinguishing it. The firefighters were able to douse the flames after at least seven hours, he explained.
Fire breaks out at local cinema in Lahore
The fire caused a loss worth millions of rupees. The cause of the fire has yet to be ascertained but it seems that the fire erupted due to a short circuit, the spokesperson added.
Published in The Express Tribune, October 25th, 2016.