Migrant camp in Calais to be dismantled: French minister

French authorities have made repeated efforts to shut down the camp, which is currently home to nearly 7,000 migrants


Afp September 02, 2016
An aerial view shows a field named "The New jungle" with tents and makeshift shelters where migrants and asylum seekers stay in Calais. PHOTO: REUTERS

LILLE, FRANCE,: The "Jungle" camp in the northern French town of Calais, home to thousands of migrants hoping to reach Britain, will be gradually dismantled, the country's interior minister vowed on Thursday.

Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve told a regional paper that he would press ahead with the closure "with the greatest determination", dismantling the site in stages while creating accommodation for thousands elsewhere in France "to unblock Calais."

Smartphone app lets users decide fate of Netherlands refugees

French authorities have made repeated efforts to shut down the camp, which authorities say is currently home to nearly 7,000 migrants -- a sharp increase in recent months. Some aid groups have put the figure as high as 10,000. The population of the camp includes large numbers of Afghans, Somalis, Sudanese and Kurds, among other asylum seekers.

EU nations must not to refuse Muslim migrants: Merkel

Britain's interior ministry could not immediately be reached for comment. Earlier this year, local authorities cleared shelters in parts of the site in a bid to persuade migrants to move into other accommodation or neighbouring camps on the northern coast. The migrants gather in Calais hoping to smuggle themselves aboard lorries that cross the Channel to Britain either through the Channel Tunnel or on board ferries.

Hungary to build second fence on border with Serbia to keep out migrants

Cazeneuve's comments to the Nord Littoral daily newspaper came a day before he is due to visit the camp. Since last October, more than 5,000 asylum seekers have left the northern French town for 161 special centres set up around France.

Places for another 8,000 asylum seekers will be created this year and thousands more in 2017, intensifying the efforts to get those in Calais to leave voluntarily, said Cazeneuve. Currently a record 1,900 police are operating in Calais, and Cazeneuve said another 200 would be added to their ranks "to reinforce the battle" against migrants smuggling themselves onto lorries bound for Britain. The minister said President Francois Hollande would visit Calais in late September.

COMMENTS (1)

Bunny Rabbit | 5 years ago | Reply Its been more than an year since they have come . why cant they integrate . The govt is giving them health check up / free meals / training facilities. They just roam the streets pilfering / eve teasing .
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read