LAHORE: Media reports about a two-week extension of summer holidays caused confusion for parents and teachers on Wednesday.
A public school teacher told The Express Tribune that the School Education Department (SED) had not informed schools about any extension of summer holidays.
He said he had heard reports in this regard from various news outlets.
“Security was cited as the reason for the extension,” he said. “Apparently, the government is not satisfied with security arrangements. The SED had advertised vacancies for guards but apparently not all posts were filled.”
Imran Habib, a parent of two, said his children were studying at public schools and he was worried about their safety.
He said, “Children are being reported kidnapped every day. We are also afraid of terrorist attacks. I don’t want to send my kids to schools in such a situation. Even if the government does not extend summer holidays, I will still not send my children to school for a few days.”
Education EDO Tariq Rafiq said that no notification had been issued by the SED. He declined further comment. SED Secretary Abdul Jabbar Shaheen and Minister Rana Mashhood were not available for comments.
Also on Wednesday, Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) information secretary Syed Sumsam Bukhari issued a statement condemning the government for extending the summer break.
“This will affect children’s education and cause fear among students and parents. How long will the government use excuses? We demand that the government take action against terrorists and their facilitators throughout the country.”
The Punjab government had issued a notification directing all public and private schools to close for summer vacations from June 1 till August 14.
Published in The Express Tribune, August 11th, 2016.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ